Introduction

MikeK77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good Morning / Afternoon (depending where you are)

Just joined. Recently purchased some equipment. Always wanted to get into photography as a hobby. Recently, seeing how im home way to much while the wife was working, I decided now was the time, to help me keep active. I recently purchased a Cannon T6 Rebel kit, that came with a 18-55mm, and 75-300mm.

I have been trying to get the hang of it. Hate using the auto mode, but at this time, find I have no clue what I am doing with the settings. I tried, but found it is difficult to know what to use, and when. I try to settle with Manual Focus for now, and let auto handle the settings.

While I love my camera, I am finding I am not getting out enough, or visiting places to take pics. I find myself getting into a rut. Way too many cloud pics, horizon pics, etc. Need to get out more, and try to find more inspiration for pics.

I think I also may be outgrowing my kit lens already. I have been looking at other lens, and unsure what to go with next.

I have been looking at the famous 50mm 1.8. I was also looking at a 24mm prime. I didn't know how these would be for indoor pics. I found a kit that comes with a 10-18mm & 50mm prime in it. I was thinking about picking this up.

Recently, I was asked if I would photography my wife's cousin's bridal shower. I am nervous, since I never been asked to do something like that before, but my wfie knows I enjoy photography. With that said, I think i need more lens to do something like that. (advice?)

When taking pics, I shoot in jpg & raw. I am learning my way around Lightroom. I do simple adjustments on my landscape pics. I found a site that helped, saying to use 6 adjustments on Landscapes (Lower Highlights/Increase Shadows/Lower Blacks/Increase Vibrance/Increase Contrast/Increase Clarity). Other than that, I still do not know everything when it comes to post development.

Wow...i talk alot. As you see, i try to do my research. Any helpful advise would be apprecited. I am unsure if this is the place to post pics, or another thread. Let me know, and I'll put a few pics up, so I can be criticized.

Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard.

There are a number of online resources that would help you learn the basics.

Welcome. Do searches online for "exposure triangle". That is absolutely the base where you need to start. Your camera manual should touch on the subjects as well. But I am sure there are bunches of youtube videos on it, and online sites where you can sit back and read up. If you like watching more than reading, tons of photo topics on youtube. Probably many videos on your camera. Might get some operational tips along the way. And understand some functions you just don't get. The 50mm is a pretty decent portrait length lens on the T6.

There are also tons of videos on Engagement, Bridal, Weding, Portraits, etc on youtube..

Recently, I was asked if I would photography my wife's cousin's bridal shower. I am nervous, since I never been asked to do something like that before, but my wfie knows I enjoy photography. With that said, I think i need more lens to do something like that. (advice?)

Holy crap!
If this is an important occasion for your relative, you should avoid doing this.

Thanks, Lew. I meant to say it, but didn't. I agree fully.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back