Is a flash worth it?

eravedesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering If I should really buy a flash. When I think about it there is a couple times when I would really need one especially when shooting school activities.

This is the flash I would be getting and its $350 (price of a new lense)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...005&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It has tons of features along with full swivle and a off camera terminal.

I have been doing photography as a hobby hobby for about 1 year now and just got my sony a100. Currently got a sigma 125-400mm 4.5-5.6 and i also have the sony stock lense so I am set on glass for now. The flash would give me a lot of more options especially now cause I want to get into doing some outdoor portraits and some studio.

It is always good to have a flash even if it is a rare occasion when you use it. I am not familiar with the sony but if it does have an on-camera pop-up flash that is definately something that is not good to use.

Sorry, but only you can answer that. For me, the answer would be no; I do available light work and don't use flash. For others, it would be a resounding yes. It all depends on how you want to work and the kind of pictures you want to take. I will say that you should probably get either a flash or a faster lens (one with a wider max aperture) if you are going to shoot indoors.

As to if that one in particular is a good flash, I'll leave that to someone who has more experience with them.

well I kinda wanted to get into doing like news article reporting and take pictures and such. Idk i just want it lol

A flash, or a faster lens, could both be potentially very useful. Consider which would be more so, as Mark said. Or toss a coin :)

For that flash, you may want to look for info or reviews on the Minolta 5600 as that is basically the same product.

ya i looked at reviews and some poepel say it underexposes but all u have to do is set it to compensate. It has tons of features i want and i will be able to put it on a bracket and still have it comunnicate with the camera. the only thing thats almsot equivilent is the sigma flash but it dosent have as many features.

My telephoto is the fastest zoom you can get for the sony right now unless you want to pay 2,300 for the sony brand telephoto lense. My stock lense is crap and i will buy one soon. I want to have a new lense and a a flash so I am going to buy the flash

How do you like the sigma 135-400mm.I ordered one (ebay) for a good price and thought I would try it out during baseball this year and see how it does.If I dont like it I will just resale it.

I shoot dirt bike races in and out of the woods. I go from harsh sunlight to shadowy woods in seconds. Even with a fast lens (canon 70-200L 2.8F) I would never consider going without a flash. You don't always have to turn it on and use it, but just wait til you need it and left it in the car. :thumbdown:

Flashes are like memory you don't need it until until you don't have it.

Buy the flash, you won't regret it.

K I bought the flash like 5 hrs ago!!! the 125mm-400mm is a great lense its just not as fast as I would like. Sigma is comming out with the minolta/sony mount for a 75-200mm lense f/2.8 soon and its going to be around $850 so wait for that if you can i am trying to get my hands on the previous model that is discontinued.

I think you made a good choice buying it. I got a 430ex for my canon and it has been extremely useful. Sometimes just for a little fill flash on a portrait and night shots. Read up on flash technique. Look at different products you can buy, and then try and make your own. I have made myself a few different diy diffusers and bouncers and you can get many different lighting effects.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back