Is anybody familiar with Blogging?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently started a blog (http://keith204.blogspot.com) and will post photos there after every shoot, with some notes on how I took the photos, and critiquing them myself - it'll be a great way to get more into it.

I'd also like to write about photo gear, as well as what's going on in my life for family to read....like new restaurants I try, vacation updates, and whatever....just fun things.

So, is it best to keep these things split up into two blogs? Or, just keep them together? Does anybody else write about multiple things?

It's up to you. I've seen some photographers who blog about anything and everything...and some pretty much stay on topic. I don't think either way is better...just different.

I think it's important to keep things fresh, to keep your readers coming back. So if you have enough content to keep two separate blogs, up to date, then maybe that's best. But if you can't keep it up with just photo stuff, then include the other stuff to keep it current.

There's no right way to do it. Photoblogging is a slightly separate discipline - it really puts the emphasis on the image. Your audience will be fellow photobloggers and photographers. It's a lot of fun, and there's a pretty active community.

General writing (opinions, observations, rants) are more generalized, and will find a different audience.

I was doing it, but stopped, just dont have enough time. I stay connected with fellow shooters on flickr, and on here. but the blog was not really worth the time (for me)

Blogging takes a lot of time so having multiple ones might be a little difficult. I try and set aside 15 minutes every day to make my posts. It is sometimes the only quiet in a seemingly sea of chaos.

Go ahead and start one and see how it goes. I agree with Mike keep it fresh and have a lot of content. I would add to make it a personal and fun. Two things I like about Blogging (there are other things, also) is that it makes me keep shooting and I have met up with a good circle of people.

Why does blogging take so much time? Maybe I'm missing something...

Since my schedule is pretty full especially this time of year I guess the time factor is relative to how much free time you have.

It does take me awhile to pick a shot, think of something to write, proofread, resize the picture and upload it. I also usually answer any comments or questions on my old posts and try and return visits to other bloggers. It can be an interactive process. I found some blogs that are very cool and I often spend time reading those people's blogs.

Depends on what you want to blog about. Yourself, your business, a shot a day, whatever.

I know that places like www.strobist.com that are based off of blogs have a TON of time invested in each article. Others put a thought or event or happening that occurred that day and takes a few seconds.

Personally, I could live without it, but I started up one just to see what all the hoop-lah was all about.

Nothing impressive, but some people find it adds to them for one reason or another.

I suppose the real reason for this, is because I enjoy having to explain the pictures I take. This will help me learn, look back, and reflect on the photo. It's just something that helps me learn, rather than just going wild taking photos, it puts the thought back into photography and keeps me interested. Also, critiquing the photos myself really helps me build a foundation of what I like/dislike about photography.

Keith, you might want to check out our member tb2's entries into his blog, seems like he publishes a photo a day along with thoughts he was having while he came upon the scene, not exclusively photography-related, often a bit philosophical, carrying the subject/theme of the photograph a little further in his musings. I've always been quite impressed by his way of combining good photography with interesting and informative "stories"!

My own blog is just one, and it is me "rambling". I know that no one reads it, only once my sister told me "Hey, you haven't written anything new in more than a week, and this while I go look at regular intervals!", which was when I learned that ONE person reads my blog, so now I seem to have shifted towards writing it "for my sister"... ;)

I often wish I could be as focused and deeply thinking as tb2 seems to be (doing).

Keith, I think keeping both of them in the same blog is better.

First blogging is a time consuming activity and sometimes you may run out of ideas to write something. But keeping this two in the same blog, gives you an opportunity. You can write about the photography gear if you don't have the pictures to upload, or if you can't find anything to write about the gear for the moment, you can just upload new photos and keep your blog fresh.

And one more think it is not a website about photography gear, it is your personnal blog, your playground, so why don't you both upload your pictures and crate picture galleries and wirte about photography gear?

Of course these are my opinion, you decide which is the best.

I personally would stay away from personal blogging (telling people about family, your private habits, whatever)... this just invites stalkers and worse.

photography blogging is a different story though. It is basically an alternative to having a portfolio webpage... a bit more lively, dynamic.

No one even reads my blog ... so hey. No stalkers. No worse. You only need to be boring enough and voilà: easy living.

I keep a blog for when I travel to keep my friends and family posted, and also to display images. I occasionally throw in a rant or monolog, but it's pretty rare. When I used to keep it on myspace, I would get about 200 views a week, so I wasn't doing too bad. Now that I've switched over to blogspot, I don't think it's been read by anyone but me :lol:

To answer your question though, I would keep one strictly for photography and one for family stuff. That way, if someone wants to check out your photoblog from TPF, we don't have to sift through what you ate last night (or which restaurant).

Keep one thing in mind: Everything you write becomes public record, no matter how innocuous. You never know what someone might react to. 20 years from now you might be running for mayor, or be considered for a board-level position at a local organization, or be up for parole, and an old comment about how cucumbers remind you of your trip to Denmark may cost you dearly.

Think of adopting a suitably ridiculous online nickname or handle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back