Is Canon number #2?

You know it's funny, I shoot Canon, and I always thought Nikon made better sensors. Then I was taking a class, and a guy who shot Nikon told me he thought Canon made better sensors.

In general, Nikons tend to be more expensive, and everything made for Nikon tends to be more expensive. Canon has a wider range of lenses. Nikon's sensors have a wider dynamic range.

I also notice that more women shoot with Nikon and more men shoot with Canon.

There are two kinds of photographers...those who own Canon, and those who will. :lol:

Just kidding.

When it came time for me to buy, I tested each. For me, the Canon was a better fit to my hands. I also have a big interest in macro and the mobility and convenience the MPE 65mm lens provides was my draw for it.

I also like the idea that I can use Nikon lenses on a Canon body (you can't do it the other way around). Many say they'd never do such a thing, but I've read plenty of reviews and using the adapters seems to work quite well. I see this as providing potential for finding and using older, cheaper lenses to try various things with.

Nikon seems to have the edge in lower light shooting based on the tests I've read, so that might be a consideration for you.

It really has more to do with the type of photography you want to do. The quality of each is on par with each other. There seems to be a thought in the Nikon community that Nikon lenses are sharper than Canon, but if you do some reading this doesn't necessarily bear out. In my limited experience I have learned that even the cheapy lenses generally can perform better than the person holding the camera. Modern cheap lenses are clearer and sharper than older expensive lenses due to advances in manufacturing and coating technology. Even some of the cheaper lenses can be sharper than the uber expensive upper lenses of Canon and Nikon.

I read an article not too long ago that many new photographers get too caught up in the lens sharpness debate mainly because of marketing. Sharpness testing in the lab is one of the easiest tests to do and so a lot is put on that. There is a lot more to a lens than how sharp it is.

The best thing to do is to decide what type of photography you want to pursue and then go from there.

Most reactions

Back