Is exposure to and study of good photography a bad thing?

How come you are so worried about what i do?
I didn't think I was the least bit concerned.

Participating in a conversation is just that, nothing more.

Sometimes I just like the typing action, and feeling the keys move under my fingers.

Whatever occurs as a result of my typing means nothing to me.

One immediate difference that comes to mind is that in your example of cabinetry, you can, at least to some degree, quantify quality based on established standards; that is: Doors should open and close freely, the top should not fall off, etc.
That's only if you care about the finished result, but we already established that I don't - I just enjoy the "banging nails into blocks of wood until they're bent" part of it, not whether anyone thinks it's any good or conforms to anyone else's standards. And then I like to share those results with other woodworking craftsmen for them to enjoy.

How could any of that be at all questionable?

I think, and i might be totally off here, that in reference to the woodworking forum analogy... if you produce, lets say...less than generally pleasing or functional work (and you are aware of its shortcomings or un-mainstreamism), and you display it in a manner for public consumption, then you probably should not be surprised when said work is not readily accepted by more mainstream craftsmen (or women) and they comment to point out the cosmetic or functional flaws.
Well, I would agree.

Nonetheless, my response is that I continue to sweep that all away with a virtual wave of the hand by saying none of what they're saying matters to me because after 30 long years of my own skilled woodworking practice, research and craftsmanship, I already understand what's expected by "the woodworking craftsmanship mainstream", reject it as boring stuff that's been done a million times, am doing my own thing, and I shouldn't have to keep explaining myself or trying to justify it to any of them.

Besides, again, it's not the end result that matters to me. I burn most of it in the end, that's how little I care about it.

My question is, should they really be expected to just unquestioningly accept and embrace my chunk of wood with a bent nail and what I'm saying as justification for it, to be valid in the context of what their forum and their world of woodworking craftsmanship is about? Is there no line at all, anywhere? Anything goes, no matter what?

Last edited:

Sometimes I just like the typing action, and feeling the keys move under my fingers.

okay, that was funny.
i have to give you that one.

keep in mind though, what you referred to and seems to be referring to is the "just for fun" section of the forum. Which for some odd reason, seems to bother you. And, if you really insist on being so concerned with what i post in the just for fun section it would be really nice to see more of your own work. Again, you hardly ever post photos. If you posted more it would give us all a better idea of your skill level and would help the community aspect of the site as well.

If you posted more it would give us all a better idea of your skill level and would help the community aspect of the site as well.
There are some very good reasons for my not posting more, but what has my skill level to do with anything?

Nonetheless, my response is that I continue to sweep that all away with a virtual wave of the hand by saying none of what they're saying matters to me because after 30 long years of my own skilled woodworking practice, research and craftsmanship, I already understand what's expected by "the woodworking craftsmanship mainstream", reject it as boring stuff that's been done a million times, am doing my own thing, and I shouldn't have to keep explaining myself or trying to justify it to any of them.

How about if this mysterious wood worker doesn't limit his opinions to what he himself is doing, but continually tells everyone else that what they are doing is worthless?

How about if this mysterious wood worker doesn't limit his opinions to what he himself is doing, but continually tells everyone else that what they are doing is worthless?

Well at least the wood worker has nothing negative to say about generous donators of camera gear. :distant:

well that is true. I didn't intend it that way. Just some things no longer interest me, we all have our photography interests. I do apologize for that comment. If others have a different outlook, or interests, i totally respect and understand that.

So agree that all of us have "our photography interests". We really should respect what others think about it. Actually it's my firs time right there but so intrested about that forum.

So agree that all of us have "our photography interests". We really should respect what others think about it. Actually it's my firs time right there but so intrested about that forum.
Sure, well except for those folks who take pictures at a zoo. Those guys should be killed. Or at the very least shunned. Lol

Last edited:
Sure, well except for those folks who take pictures at a zoo. Those guys should be killed. Or at the very least shunned. Lol
actually, you been missed. Where ya been? Yes, it was noticed you were gone. I didn't put up any missing persons posters on poles but i was kinda wondering what happend to you.

Designer said:

Oh, I see what you did there! A brilliant bit of smart-assery there, indeed!

Designer said:

Oh, I see what you did there! A brilliant bit of smart-assery there, indeed!
yes, they seemed rather upset. As they disagreed with my methodology on photography and it bothered them even more that i didn't care if they disagreed. It did turn into a rather amusing thread though.

You have missed the point.

Last edited:
Always aim for the best. Better a Jon Snow trough than the Dunning Kruger peak.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back