Not open for further replies.

Emegra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys
I haven't posted in a while mainly because I haven't had anything to say
but yesterday I took delivery of a camera I bought off ebay a Kiev 4 of 1980 vintage
and what a beautiful machine it is, I haven't been able to shoot with it yet because I haven't got film and it's almost impossible to buy locally but just holding it in my hand is an absolute joy.
The reason I bought it was because I want to go back to basics I don't want auto focus, aperture priority, shutter priority, evaluative metering, Ai servo, blink detection or any other fancy function, available to us on even the most basic digital cameras, I want to learn photography, I want to understand the science
This camera will help me do that and I don't believe I'm alone,
Film is making a bit of a comeback but I don't think it's because we want to use film, it because we want to use these cameras, modern digital cameras are amazing, they take all the hard work out of photography but they're boring Canon, Nikon, Sony They're all much of a muchness and they're dumbing down photography, These old film camera may not come close to the quality of images we can take with modern DSLR's or mirrorless camera but they're a lot more fun and a lot more challenging, so from an amateur perspective if photography ceases to be challenging or ceases to be fun is it worth doing

If one wants to get back to basics, you still can with digital. Shoot in full manual mode and only shoot ONE shot of that incredible scene before you. It would be feast or famine just like film days with one exception : the cost.

Yeah Dean I can't argue with the cost thing, you got me there :1251:

How to 'shoot film' with a DSLR:

1. Turn off image review so you can't chimp.
2. Take only 24 or 36 shots per memory card.
3. Take the card with 24 or 36 shots out, and don't put it in your computer for a week.
4. If you want to use a 'digital darkroom' to 'develop your own film', shoot raw format. Otherwise, shoot JPEG for 'snapshots'.

I think you might be missing the point Sparky
what I was trying to say in my post is it's not all about the film process it's the cameras

what I was trying to say in my post is it's not all about the film process it's the cameras

Get one of these. Feels more like a film camera than a film camera. Manual focus and exposure controls, built like a tank. People will think it's a film camera if they see you with it (I'm sure). And for what you're going to spend for film and processing it's even cheap.

biogon.jpg

Hi guys
I haven't posted in a while mainly because I haven't had anything to say
but yesterday I took delivery of a camera I bought off ebay a Kiev 4 of 1980 vintage
and what a beautiful machine it is, I haven't been able to shoot with it yet because I haven't got film and it's almost impossible to buy locally but just holding it in my hand is an absolute joy.
The reason I bought it was because I want to go back to basics I don't want auto focus, aperture priority, shutter priority, evaluative metering, Ai servo, blink detection or any other fancy function, available to us on even the most basic digital cameras, I want to learn photography, I want to understand the science
This camera will help me do that and I don't believe I'm alone,
Film is making a bit of a comeback but I don't think it's because we want to use film, it because we want to use these cameras, modern digital cameras are amazing, they take all the hard work out of photography but they're boring Canon, Nikon, Sony They're all much of a muchness and they're dumbing down photography, These old film camera may not come close to the quality of images we can take with modern DSLR's or mirrorless camera but they're a lot more fun and a lot more challenging, so from an amateur perspective if photography ceases to be challenging or ceases to be fun is it worth doing

OK, so your point is? Great, you bought an old Russian rangefinder. $hitty, boring, utterly pedestrian images are all within your grasp--as if they aren't already with the latest overdraft bait from major makers. Knock yourself out.

You missed the point of my post as well.

"This thread is doomed."
It certainly is,
I've no idea where all this hate is coming from
For god sake people lighten up I was only trying put forward a point of discussion, I thought this was a photography forum but if it's upsetting people that much, delete the whole thread

Hate? More like weariness. And then there's the bizarre sense of entitlement(and pique) that anyone could possibly disagree with your "declaration." We all like our toys--that much is settled. Let's leave it there.

Yes, not hate as mentioned.
I personally don't think Digital cameras are dumming us down.
Same thing was said when Auto Exposure was first introduced in film cameras ... then the whole Auto Focus thing ... then there was multipoint metering ... etc ... (1968 first AE SLR ... 1983 first AE matrix metering ... 1985 first integrated AF SLR)
I think Digital cameras have made more photographers willing to try non-automatic modes as it doesn't cost anything to do so.
As an old film shooter ... every shot costs $.
Personally I have taken some great shots on "vintage" film cameras that rival my digital stuff ... actually, my film cameras uses the same lenses as my digital cameras ... and I still find that many of my "vintage" slide film images are awesome ... and don't get us started on large format film.

Actually your post reminded me of a YouTube video that I recently looked at of someone was describing a Miniature Speed Graphic ... I made a comment, and now the video is unlisted ... hmm.

I think the "weariness" that CGW talks about above comes from the fact that these Film vs Digital debates crop up on a fairly regular basis, and quickly descend into arguments for which there is no winner. I started in film in the 60's, and there's probably a dozen rolls of Ilford in the refrigerator that's been there at least 3 years.

Unless you are seriously consistent with note taking while shooting film, learning will be a long process as you forget from the time you took the shot till the film is processed. Just because you have "all those fancy functions" doesn't mean you have to use a single one of them. In studio I'm on full manual with manual focus, but guess what?? In the blink of an eye I can still have an image showing up that lets me adjust on the fly. Try that with film camera.

These old film camera may not come close to the quality of images

WTH by whose definition????? I've seen beautiful work with nothing more than a simple pin hole camera. Not much more basic you can get. Quality is an ambiguous term, that has little relevance in a comparison of tools when they're in the hands of a master at the craft.

so from an amateur perspective if photography ceases to be challenging or ceases to be fun is it worth doing

Now this I can agree with you on. It's all about the journey, if you're not challenging yourself to learn then it is boring. So if film floats your boat go for it. There are some fabulous photographers on here that shoot, film, and will not hesitate to help you along in your journey. By all means post up some of your shots with film we'll never grow weary of looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back