Is it just me? So far Canon has been disapointing this year.

I'm surprised only Canon has added a builtin RF to their flash.

With Yongnuo (and others) pushing (or so I thought) the manufacturers on RF things I would of thought Nikon/Canon would jump on the higher priced flash bandwagon and offer RF triggers of their own. Nikon's aging SU-800 now seems a second thought compared to the YN-622TX (at least to me). And I'm surprised Yongnuo hasn't put more RF in their other flashes.

Yeah, Steve, I hear ya, I do. What I see is this: The camera makers are seeing their high-profit accessory market being hurt by the flood of Yongnuos; the Yongy 560-III looks pretty good to me, for the money. I think Yongnuo and other China-based knock-offs, like Meike, have really hurt the development of flash units from the camera makers. People now have more choices than they used to, and when those choices include capable, low-cost knock-offs, that low-cost product's widespread availability curtails camera maker innovation at the "affordable" end of the price spectrum, and even into the mid-range. I'd LOVE a multi-flash off-camera speedlight system with built in trigger/receiving/controlling, but at $1500 for three 600 EX-RT units...ummm...three Yongy 560-III units ar $71 each looks very tempting for non-millionaires.

I think the low-cost, almost disposable pricing, of the Yongnuo flashes, and the Meike flashes, have hurt innovation. The sprouting up of CHEAP replacement/alternatives in battery grips are behind the huge uptick in price for Nikon battery grips; huge swaths of the sales of camera-maker-branded accessories have been stolen by the Chinese companies that use industrial espionage to literally steal injection moulding moulds to make knock-off flashes and battery grips, low-end digital cameras, and other accessories.

Yup, Nikon/Canon might as well take away the market that PocketWizard now has.
Why not, everyone else does things like that in other industries.
If it leads to increased profits & sales go for it .. even at the dismise of PocketWizard.

That's the way the market is - although honestly I suspect that Canon/Nikon isn't the problem so much as the cheap Chinese company knock-offs are/ PW would compete in the same expensive sector as Canon and Nikon certainly - however so long as they could continue to provide niche tools and features they could still command a good market hold - the cheap stuff though can steal a lot of c ustomers.

Was it the womens' fashion industry or the automobile industry that initiated a 'new, improved' model(s) every year? That kept the cash register ringing and profits growing. In the micro computer era, that was the 8088, 286, 386, 486, Pentium... then 'new, improved' versions of Windows that people waited in line to buy the first copies. Now it's the latest and greatest iPhone or <whatever> phone that has people lined up every year.

So now the photography 'world' is anxiously awaiting the new model year cameras or lens upgrades as well? And, quite obviously, some are less than thrilled with anything other than 'earth shaking' advancements in photography. Perhaps a 10mm-HubbleTelescope mm f1.0L IS USM lens is on the horizon for under $2,000? Is THAT what is necessary to appease the "I want a new super-duper xxx every year" crowd? Then what would be needed after that?

Derrel has hit the nail on the head. Unless one has a bad case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), once they have the camera and lens combination they can get the pictures they want to take, what is the need for rushing out and buying a new, super-duper whatever that has little added benefit? In my film days, I was done buying cameras and lenses about 1980. Everything I wanted to shoot I could. I reached that point 2 years ago when I got a 5Diii for its focusing accuracy and high ISO capabilities. Even if a 5Div came out tomorrow, what new features would it need have to cause me to rush out and get one?

In short, one has to realize that the camera equipment makers are doing whatever they can to keep the cash registers ringing in what is likely a dwindling marketplace due to cell phones taking away much of the easy money, high volume point and shoot business, and perhaps even the mirrorless business as well. And how many DSLR photographers are in a position to spend $500 or more for a better lens, or $2000+ for that better body in the next 12 months? Yes, the professionals need to replace worn out gear and upgrade at the same time, but that's not likely to be 100,000 units/month worth of sales. In my estimation, the reality is that as the giant cash flows from photography has dwindled, so has R&D at the camera makers. As a result, the number and/or frequency of new <whatever> is reduced as well.

Perhaps a new set of tail fins or new headlight treatment on an otherwise 'last years lens model' would satisfy the 'gotta have it' crowd?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back