is my composition interesting? c&c

NikonNewb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just did auto levels and some color correction/ burn tool
let me know if you have any suggestions. there are things that bug me but i cant put my finger on it.
2w7h10x.jpg

is this one better, i thought maybe the trees were too colorful and distracting??
2guxxcn.jpg

Last edited:
what is your point of view?

what is this photo about?
I think if you think about these questions you will answer your own question.

the whole background is distracting for my 2 cents, and it just doesn't work for me.

theres just to much going on.. and you cut off the stand that the water wheel is being supported by.. the wheel is also way to tight in the top end..

I think turning the camera to the vertical orientation and minimising the visual competition the cascading water background offers would have worked better.

Also a higher perspective to eliminate the hard horizontal line through the wheel would also have helped.

The water source camera right that gives the wheel it's motion, a major part of the story here, can barely be seen.

thanks, i actually got a bunch of shots, i'll choose something else

For me, the images are too busy...especially the background. If you had isolated the waterwheel a little more or just shot the waterfalls or take a tight shot of the flume that is feeding water to the waterwheel I think I'd be more interested in the image. Right now...just too much going on.

My biggest problem with this image is the fact that although this waterwheel seems to be a take on the very first moving pictures machines, and I imagine that is why you shot this photo, I can't tell how it is supposed to work. Obviously I have to look towards the right where the horse is right side up but that is all I understand.

Also, if it is the subject, then the horse images are so small that I wonder how many people will even notice them. So far, no one has mentioned them.

I prefer the photo with the more vivid reflections, but overall I think the photo does not work because the waterwheel is not shown with its base, and the water plume that activates the wheel does not show up all that well with the lighting that was present at the time.

I looked at the large sized images, and noticed the horses on the waterwheel,and immediately though of the famous Eadweard Muybridge
photos of the galloping horse. I looked at the background water, and looked at the small frozen droplets coming off of the waterwheel...but I kept coming back to the waterwheel, just floating there in space...I really think the image needs a solid "anchor" for the wheel to rest upon and be supported by.

Desaturating the background reflection didn't help; maybe a different time of day would provide ambient lighting that would give better visual clues as to how the water plume activates the waterwheel.

I prefer the photo with the more vivid reflections, but overall I think the photo does not work because the waterwheel is not shown with its base, and the water plume that activates the wheel does not show up all that well with the lighting that was present at the time.

I looked at the large sized images, and noticed the horses on the waterwheel,and immediately though of the famous Eadweard Muybridge
photos of the galloping horse. I looked at the background water, and looked at the small frozen droplets coming off of the waterwheel...but I kept coming back to the waterwheel, just floating there in space...I really think the image needs a solid "anchor" for the wheel to rest upon and be supported by.

Desaturating the background reflection didn't help; maybe a different time of day would provide ambient lighting that would give better visual clues as to how the water plume activates the waterwheel.

Or maybe shoot from the other side but, first, we would need to know what was the point, the subject of the photo.

kinda distracting. I dont know what to look at. And as for the colors, I like the softness in the second one, but it does look a little washed out

Interesting subject though, maybe zoom out a little bit?

maybe its me but it looks very 2 dimensional

Most reactions

Back