Is my lens busted?

Unless you've the proper tools and experience chances are its not the kind of thing you can fix yourself. It might be a simple reseating or it might be that internal components have bent or broken. Some people have had good luck in opening up and fixing lenses at home, but for the average person its typically not worth trying unless the quoted repair cost is more than the lenses worth new.

I think it is better if you get it fixed by a professional. Take it to the service center dont risk fixing it yourself.

Your chances of getting it to focus properly again are slim to none. That has caused a barrel jam that will need to be fixed professionally. Depending on what lens it is? It's probably cheaper to replace. You are looking at about a minimum of $150 in repairs without considering parts. Just in hourly charge.

What lens is that? It appears to be a 28-90mm or 35-80mm... if that's the case, those lenses were kit lenses for the Canon 35mm (film) Rebel series... check the local pawn shops and craigslist. Should be able to pick up another one with a free camera attached to it for $25-60.

It appears as though the drop caused the outer barrel to jump some internal focus threads. Sort of like a timing chain in a car motor jumping teeth. It will never be right until fixed, if at all possible. You have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself, after all it already broken. But I would heed other advice already given and look for a new lens. Sorry for your dilemma.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back