is my new internet connection fast?

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
my previous cable connection was 1500 or something. this new service says our speed is 5MB. how do they compare?

JonMikal said:
my previous cable connection was 1500 or something. this new service says our speed is 5MB. how does that compare?

Not sure what 1500 was, it may have been 1.5MB. 5MB is pretty fast. I have the new 6MB Comcast, and its pretty nice. Not sure if its worth the extra $10 a month or not for an extra 2MB.

Unimaxium said:
5mbps is quite fast. That means you can download a 1MB file at just under 2 seconds. If you want, you can test to see how well your connection is running at http://speakeasy.net/speedtest

Guess my speed is not that good?:

Download Speed: 3595 kbps (449.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 240 kbps (30 KB/sec transfer rate)

or wait...maybe I'm just reading it wrong. I tested again and got this:

Download Speed: 4382 kbps (547.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 238 kbps (29.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

its the nature of tests like that. Always a good idea to run it multiple times. 500k/sec download is quite good. The upload is not great but a lot of people dont do a lot of uploading anyway.

Even better!

Download Speed: 7754 kbps (969.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 703 kbps (87.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my service provider is upgrading its customers from 2mb to 10mb for no extra cost, which is nice of them

I have the option to go to 5Mb/2Mb fiber optic form the 3/1.5 DSL I have now for teh same money (doing that as soon as the contractors trucks roll out of the neighborhood) and for $10 more I can go to 15Mb.

sooo tempting hehe

That site gave me 1927kbps down and 1780kbps up, which is not particularly accurate given that my colocated work machine is running on the UK Tier 1 carrier network at 400Mbps - I suspect there's a bottleneck elsewhere!

Adslguide gave 32572kbps down and 35177kbps up, which still isn't that close!

I suppose they're not designed for testing higher speed connections.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back