Is there anything good about this photo?

Fair enough; might be a combination of old eyes and a sub-par monitor. I've found bright lights, especially fluorescent ones, tend to produce unusual ghosting and other unusual effect in misty environments.

Which is actually what I was going for haha

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

6353 lower left CROP.jpg

This crop from the original capture looks like camera movement, or vibration. The SLIGHT ghosting around the letters indicates a very slight movement, not a horribly bad one, yet still--something was in motion, but only for sa short percentage of the toral exposure time. Maybe a truck or car drove by, or like you mentioned, a little gust of wind came through while the shutter was open. Or maybe the tripod head, or legs, caused this. It does not take "much" to cause this level of blur; at times a much longer shutter time will help to minimize this type of artifact. THIS much blurring, on say, a total exposure of 45 seconds duration, might have (emphasis on might) given a sharper-looking shot. Depends on the culprit: if it was windy and gusty, 45 seconds might have reallllly messed up the result: if it was the tripod not being able to stablize against mirror shock, a longer exposure might have minimized the ghosting.

This level of blur is slight enough that Photoshop might be able to improive upon the shot by quite a bit.

If you loke it keep it for you. It doesnt have to be good portfolio stuff for you to really enjoy it

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I think it's pretty cool, and if there was some camera shake (and Derrel seems to be on the right track) I wouldn't enlarge and crop much because it's just getting worse.

I think framing slightly differently might have been better, but I might crop the left side a little. I don't know how well that would help because look at the long gray line created by the edge of the windows - it might be hard to get that looking better. I think shooting buildings that it helps to think about perspective and where you 'end' the shot along windows and doors etc. - the far left edge of the photo just adds chopped off blinds and a long angled vertical line that to me makes the picture seem crooked and throws the balance of the composition off. But it is framed straight I think looking at the smaller parking sign.

I notice too that the left side of the building that was closer to you looks more out of focus like that sign does, so maybe some of this out of focus affect might be the f stop and depth of field?

The fog is what helps make this a cool photo, that gives the light a more ethereal feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back