Is This a Bad Lens?

Schooner24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased a Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 from a major seller of used equipment. It was listed as EX+, meaning it was supposed to be like new. However, when it arrived, it had strange white stuff all around the rubber seal at the front, and there were numerous spots that seems to be like some kind of pitting on the metal under the front element. I cannot determine what the gunk and the spot are. It does not look like fungus. I found I could brush off the gunk using a very soft toothbrush, but the pitting on the metal remains below the glass element. I wrote to the seller, and they offered to take $20 off the purchase price (which was well over $700) or exchange it for another lens with a slightly lower rating. Obviously, I am upset that the seller would send me a lens that it said is like new that clearly is not. However, I hesitate to return or exchange it only because it seems to focus well. I worry that the pitting on the metal might indicate additional corrosion or something inside the lens. Has anybody seen this kind of issue before? I searched the internet and could not find another example of it. I wonder if they used an aggressive cleaner that breached the front element and then failed to clean it off the residue from front of the lens. Is this normal or should I return the lens immediately? Below are a couple of photos to illustrate the issue. Does anybody know what the gunk and the corrosion might be?
_DMS8892 Small.jpg
_DMS8902 Small.jpg

maybe you should sue them! Sell you a product they say is EX+ then I'd expect it should be. But I doubt that will help you much. I think if it works well, you seem to think it does, your best option is to use it till it quits and never buy from them again. I have bought some used stuff but from a company with a fairly big name. Stuff was just as they had said. Thing is a company like I dealt with has been around a good while and can't afford bad press! Offering you a $20 rebate is a slap in the face! Didn't if come with some kind of guarantee?

It was not as described, so return it.

Thanks for the replies. I sent the seller photos and asked them to have their technicians let me know what the issues were, but they said they could not (or would not) do that. I agree that a $20 discount was insufficient. So, I am exchanging it for another lens that they say is in excellent condition. I might've kept the original lens if they could have told me what was going and assured me that there was no damage inside the lens, but I worry that there may be other issues. I buy used stuff occassionally from KEH, MPB, and Adorama, and have found all of them to be pretty good. So, I have become pretty confident about buying gear from them if it is rated excellent. However, MPB sent me a Pocket Wizard a few years ago that was supposed to be like new, but it arrived withi a broken hotshoe foot and they did nothing about it. This lens is from KEH. I just don't know how it passed quality control before they sent it out. I suspect someone might have been too agressive cleaning it before sending it to me. Anyway, KEH stepped up and allowed for a refund or exchange. Hopefully, the replacement lens they send me has no issues. I don't mean to trash the seller. Mostly, I wanted to know what the gunk and apparent pitting might be from.

Reread their exchange/refund/return policies. At least go for the exchange--20 bucks off and you're still staring at the blemishes. Better still? Refund. Shop elsewhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back