Is this a processing error?

I know I am a month late on this but to do your own processing takes very little for film. A changing bag has 2 zippers and light tight fabric. You put your arms in the sleeves after you have the film, and tank into the bag. You only load the film in the changing bag, into the tank, When you get the closed tank into the daylight you are all set to start processing your first roll. The developer gets poured in first. After the time has past you pour out the developer and either pour inthe shortstop or use p lain water of the same temp. After that is poured out you add the hypo for the proper time. When chosing a film developer you don't want a real short time. Some have less than 5 minutes and that makes it very difficult to be that precise, with pouring times and all. Short stop cana be water with about anounce of white vinegar added. I have used Kodak fixer for over 60 years and haven't had any problems. That is also the final thing in the tank. You can open the top and wash it either in the tank or in a small sink. A couple of spring clothes pins will hold the film while it dries. Total time should be less than 30 minutes.

I know I am a month late on this but to do your own processing takes very little for film. A changing bag has 2 zippers and light tight fabric. You put your arms in the sleeves after you have the film, and tank into the bag. You only load the film in the changing bag, into the tank, When you get the closed tank into the daylight you are all set to start processing your first roll. The developer gets poured in first. After the time has past you pour out the developer and either pour inthe shortstop or use p lain water of the same temp. After that is poured out you add the hypo for the proper time. When chosing a film developer you don't want a real short time. Some have less than 5 minutes and that makes it very difficult to be that precise, with pouring times and all. Short stop cana be water with about anounce of white vinegar added. I have used Kodak fixer for over 60 years and haven't had any problems. That is also the final thing in the tank. You can open the top and wash it either in the tank or in a small sink. A couple of spring clothes pins will hold the film while it dries. Total time should be less than 30 minutes.

thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. Obviously I still need to do some homework before I can really start processing my own film but you folks here on the forum has offered some valuable insights and reassurance!

Just to give a quick update. I took the negatives back to the lab and after about 10 days I got two new sets of prints back. I'm not sure why there were two sets but they clearly were scanned/printed by two different labs. They must have sent the film out to another lab. Neither of the sets were perfect but clearly better than the first set of prints I've got. One set was clearly a bit over-processed thus the highlights was blown out too much. The other one has some noticeable dust specs on some prints. Definitely not going back there again. You trade the quality for speed for sure.

Most reactions

Back