is this lens decent please give me some input

polock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Focus Adjustment[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Autofocus[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zoom Adjustment[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zoom Lens[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Details[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Filter Size[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]72 mm[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aperture[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Minimum Focus Range[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19.2 in[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magnification[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wide Angle (21 - 35mm), Normal / Straight (35 - 65mm), Telephoto (65 to 600mm)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Angle[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18 - 75 degrees[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Groups/Elements[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16 Elements in 12 Groups[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diameter[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.8 in[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Length[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.81 in[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18.9 oz[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPN[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2562a002[/FONT]

Yes, polock, that's an excellent lens. In itself.

But whether that's an excellent lens for you is less easy to determine. It depends on the price, on your billfold, on what you want to shoot with the lens, and on your photographic skill level.
Can you tell us about that?

skill level is a little above your average joe. I used to be really into black and white photo, and then got out of photography for about 6-7 years. now i am just getting back into it. got me a canon xt 8mp dslr. and wanted to start shooting again... i love shooting outside. rivers, waterfalls, anything nature. and i also take a ton of photos of my little girl. other than that i don't photo much.

It's a good lens, but due to the 1.6x crop factor of most of the Canon digitals the 28-135 will be equivalent to 45-216mm in 35mm film equivalent terms. Just something to keep in mind. If you wanted to maintain the same angle of view you might want to get Canon's EF-S 17-85 IS lens instead which would give the same angle of view on a Canon XT as the 28-135 will on 35mm film.

I have that lens and it lives on my Canon 40 d most of the time. it takes EXCELLENT pictures and i`m very happy with it. My pics are sharp and crisp. i shoot mostly indoors with ONLY natural light. its a great lens for me. i did shoot some pics the other morning of a yellow flower to test it out and i was blown away.

i had the 17x85 IS mm lens but my copy must have been defective.... my pics were all too soft or maybe it was focus problem. but anyway the shop let me trade it in and they gave me the other wide angle Telephoto EF 28x135 mm lens in its place.

I use mine quite a bit on my 40D, but I've used it on an EOS 3 and it is a much more versatile lens on a full frame or 35mm camera. Still, I do use it quite a bit and I like it a lot. Very sharp.

well i picked one up for under 300 so i think that will be ok.. i have a bunch of lenses left over from my old canon f body.. do they make adapters from old canons to new?

well i picked one up for under 300 so i think that will be ok.. i have a bunch of lenses left over from my old canon f body.. do they make adapters from old canons to new?

If your old Canon lenses fit your new Canon body, you're obviously OK. Try it. If they don't fit you're out of luck. Because even if there is an adapter, some lens functions won't work.

Most reactions

Back