It's official... new Nikon product

Did you notice?

Yours are the only posts in this thread that don't use capital letters and paragraphs, which seriously diminishes the chances other people, myself included, will bother to read what you have written.

Did you notice?

Yours are the only posts in this thread that don't use capital letters and paragraphs, which seriously diminishes the chances other people, myself included, will bother to read what you have written.
im sorry ill remember that for the next time, sometimes i write sloppy on internet forums im not the only one guilty of it.

Anybody know who that guy is? He seems to have all the new Nikon lens already. Bokeh doesn't seems to be as nice as the AFD version, but then again, these images aren't that great of an example.

Here are all the sets for the other lens as well
flash-a-holic's photosets on Flickr

read the cameras specs, 1080p in 24fps only, t2i/7d does that in 24 and 30fps and also does 60fps in 720p. that alone puts it below the rest of the field. and to be honest, only casual videographers care about auto focus for video. have you heard the noises an AF lense makes? your gonna hear that in your videos too. people buying HDSLRs to shoot video want that shallow DOF, and alot of them prefer manual focus with follow focuses and external monitors/LCD viewfinders, thats half the fun of shooting video with a dslr, i understand if your a casual videographer and you dont want to put much effort into it, thats fine, then the d3100 is for you. even nikon fans shooting video with canons are looking past this camera, and come on nikon stuff is pricey, $700 for a body and lens... this is them trying to stop the bleeding. im not hating on nikon here im just saying id wait for the d95 and 60d to see what their capable of. and another thing, people should realize that this video dslr war probably isnt going to last very long, interchangeable lens camcorders with aps-c sensors will be the next craze.

I think you are missing the point of video on cameras like the D3100. It's an entry-level DSLR and video is simply for occasional use. Casual videographers are exactly who it's meant for. It's not meant to satisfy the needs of serious videographers. Saying the D3100's video capabilities are inferior to that of a 7D is like saying a Toyota Camry performs worse than a BMW 550i. Of course it does. It's designed to be that way. It's less than half the price. If the D3100 met the needs of everyone, what would be the point of the rest of the lineup? Even a D3100 to a T2i ($900 kit) comparison is off-base. The D3100's real competition are T1i, XSi, K-X etc., against which the D3100 stacks up pretty well on paper (and paper is all we have so far).

Last edited:
Did you notice?

im sorry ill remember that for the next time, sometimes i write sloppy on internet forums im not the only one guilty of it.

+1

To be honest, I really didn't even bother reading what this guy said. When I first started on the forum I did exactly what he is doing right now. I actually wanted help and I wanted to be critisized and the only to do that is to use punctuation and proper grammar. I did exactly that and now I have advanced my skill from what it was to what it has become today in just a short month. Thank you TPF.

The fellow who has the review about the 85 is testing the lens for Nikon.

It is not uncommon for companies have photographers use lens in the field under normal working conditions. They have to send them every photo taken so they can review the results first hand.

Samples from the 85 AF-S. They have already caused "some" controversy. Especially the ones from Lindsay Silverman (the first set).

Bokeh isn't what most people were expecting, it seems.

Flickriver: Photoset 'AFS 85mm f/1.4G' by flash-a-holic
Bokeh looks really harsh... Especially in this shot. It looks more harsh than my 70-200 2.8 IS II, which is not exactly known for smooth buttery bokeh itself... I guess there's just a design trade off between sharpness and creamy bokeh?

Samples from the 85 AF-S. They have already caused "some" controversy. Especially the ones from Lindsay Silverman (the first set).

Cliff Mautner Photography: The New Nikkor 85mm 1.4G w/nano Crystal Coat- first weddings shot with this lens

Oh my God, it has some of the awful bokeh signature characteristics of Canon's 85/1.2-L...simply put, it has ugly,swirling bokeh on natural-world subjects...it looks like crap in that outdoor sample gallery, and the cat's eye bokeh on the wedding photos looks crappy too...

Bokeh looks really harsh... Especially in this shot. It looks more harsh than my 70-200 2.8 IS II, which is not exactly known for smooth buttery bokeh itself... I guess there's just a design trade off between sharpness and creamy bokeh?

Yes, I'm sure there's a trade off, because the 85mm AF-S is essentially a tweaked 85mm AF-D - a film-era design. They should have left it alone. So, the AF-S doesn't feature an entirely new optical formula like the recent 70-200 f/2.8 offerings from Nikon and Canon.

My 70-200 VR II is both sharper and has better bokeh than the 85 AF-S, based on those pictures. :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

85 AF-S at f/1.4:

85f14.jpg

at f/2:

85mmf2.jpg

at f/2.8:

85f28.jpg

source: Google Translate

More sample pictures:

AF-S DX 55-300 VR II:

Flickriver: Photoset 'AFS DX 55-300mm VR II' by flash-a-holic

AF-S 28-300 VR II:

Flickriver: Photoset 'AFS 28-300mm VR II' by flash-a-holic