James Dean Doppelganger

It's actually something I achieve with a "curves" adjustment layer. I do add contrast, but I pull the very bottom point of the shadows up a little when creating an "S" curve, and it just barely starts to soften the shadow areas up a bit . I really enjoy the look it gives.

Thanks again

It's actually something I achieve with a "curves" adjustment layer. I do add contrast, but I pull the very bottom point of the shadows up a little when creating an "S" curve, and it just barely starts to soften the shadow areas up a bit . I really enjoy the look it gives.

Thanks again
Aint no thang.

Yep. I hate clipped shadows and highlights, and I do not like black and white images that are high in contrast or too bright. I have a personal style and at this point in my "career" I feel that I know what I am doing quite well, and that I can make these choices and defend them.

It was just a question. No need to get defensive. No need to defend.

I wasn't being defensive, but now that I'm being publicly accused of it I am starting to feel defensive for a completely different reason than the photos.

To be fair though Dan, when you say "I have a personal style and at this point in my "career" I feel that I know what I am doing quite well, and that I can make these choices and defend them", when manaheim just asked a simple question, it kinda does appear that your are being defensive. just a little bit.

Im not really a huge B&W fan, so i didn't do as much of an in depth inspection as I would for your color work, but as far as my limited scope of B&W taste goes, I like the tones here. I don't personally see a "contrast" issue, but I think that's just more of a personal taste kinda thing.

my only nitpics with this one are the dark shadows around the eyes, and the DOF. his face is all nice and in focus, then i am immediately drawn to some weird OOF spot on his back, and then notice the back of his neck and chest are OOF as well. he isn't really separated from the background well, and the his chest just kinda blurs right into it.
But! Im definitely an "all the person in focus" guy, so anything outside of that where portraits are concerned are outside my typical taste.

Overall, I think this is a good shot. I give it a solid B+

Is the lower-contrast look intentional? My reaction was to say "needs more contrast!" but I think this is the second time you've had an image with this look, so maybe it's what you're going for.

I think it's totally a personal and situational choice to do this. I sometimes like hard contrast for some images and soft for others.

I can't find fault in a person using their own taste when editing a solid image. Now if the base image sucked and was covered in fancy editing, then there would be things to nitpick.

Is the lower-contrast look intentional? My reaction was to say "needs more contrast!" but I think this is the second time you've had an image with this look, so maybe it's what you're going for.

I think it's totally a personal and situational choice to do this. I sometimes like hard contrast for some images and soft for others.

I can't find fault in a person using their own taste when editing a solid image. Now if the base image sucked and was covered in fancy editing, then there would be things to nitpick.

This is how I feel.

I too was nitpicked at on my last image I posted here.

I did the same type of adjustment and got the same response.

It's a pretty typical question for low contrast images because the current trend is higher contrast.

As Dan rightly said... It's a choice and one everyone has to make, but it's best to be ready for the question or criticism and not let it ruffle you.

Keep in mind, too... Here on Tpf... The greater majority of low contrast images are NOT intentionally rendered as such. Since we try to be I instructive, it's not surprising for this to come up even more.

Btw, Dan and I chatted privately about the defensive thing and I think we have come to a better understanding of each other, so please let that drop.

It's a pretty typical question for low contrast images because the current trend is higher contrast. As Dan rightly said... It's a choice and one everyone has to make, but it's best to be ready for the question or criticism and not let it ruffle you. Keep in mind, too... Here on Tpf... The greater majority of low contrast images are NOT intentionally rendered as such. Since we try to be I instructive, it's not surprising for this to come up even more. Btw, Dan and I chatted privately about the defensive thing and I think we have come to a better understanding of each other, so please let that drop.

I'll let it drop but I won't forget!

Beautiful model, and a lovely rendering. Frankly, it might have been a challenge to make this guy not look good! :razz:

I like your processing. You totally have captured a "Hollywood-mystique" type of feel here. I'm in awe!

It's a pretty typical question for low contrast images because the current trend is higher contrast. As Dan rightly said... It's a choice and one everyone has to make, but it's best to be ready for the question or criticism and not let it ruffle you. Keep in mind, too... Here on Tpf... The greater majority of low contrast images are NOT intentionally rendered as such. Since we try to be I instructive, it's not surprising for this to come up even more. Btw, Dan and I chatted privately about the defensive thing and I think we have come to a better understanding of each other, so please let that drop.

I'll let it drop but I won't forget!
I love you guys.

Dan, I don't see you as defensive. I see you stand for your work.

What he said :)
I love the shot man, I think everything people have nitpicked so far works really well with the image as a whole.
I think you achieved a very stylish look.
Congrats :)

Beautiful work Dan.

Warhorse, I respectfully disagree, the only reason to take them away is to make him conform to the "perfection" many seem to seek these days (as evidenced by the plastic photoshopping so prevalent these days), perfect skin, perfect body, perfect everything, take them away and you take away some of his uniqueness imho.

Agreed. Although I'm very much a beginner, I find that shooting people as they are, brings a depth to the art. I don't like seeing a lot of makeup, or shopping to get rid of "defects".

And Warhorse, I find it very easy to look at and study this image. For my own eye, I might like the background a little darker, but I feel the paisley patters in the shirt go well with the curls in the subject's hair.

Most reactions

Back