Kenworth x3

Brian_barrett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geog.leeds.ac.uk
Hi, just a few creative snaps of my dad's truck. My question is, do these three images compliment each other enough, or is another less abstract image required to be part of a complete set?

kenworth(1).jpg

kenworth(2).jpg

kenworth(3).jpg

Honest opinions appreciated.

B

I really like the last one. Mostly because theres a (what looks like) a DOT officer (department of transportation. thats what we call them here).
I like how he's leaning.
The colors are very nice and eye catching

With Brian’s OK, I will respond, not only to his original question but also make a couple of comments about his pictures.

Since this is a truck series, I would add two pictures in a similar vein with large swatches of color and points of interest that are more design than pictorial - one picture would be taken of the front of the truck and one at the back. These would wrap up his semi-abstract view of the truck.

In regards the pictures themselves.

The ideas of color and composition are great. Clearly the OP is working at getting interesting images with impact and is not just taking a snapshot. Where these fall a little short is the composition and attention to depth of focus.

In picture #1, there is a busy, over-bright background behind the orange signal light and the light itself is OOF. I would have considered moving to the left some to make the front part of the truck the background for the light and be certain that the light was in focus. The picture was shot at f4. Move this up to f8 or f11 and you’ll have a much greater DOF so the words and the light will be in focus.

In picture #2, the gauge is nicely positioned at an interesting angle against the colors of the truck but the edges of the gauge are cut off., randomly, by the edge of the frame. It is ok to truncate an object but make the trimmed piece have some design purpose, make it symmetrical, make it asymmetrical, but in any case plan how you want it to look.

In picture #3, the picture was again shot at f4. This kind of picture calls for a control of the DOF. In this case, the man in the background draws attention but he is oof, burnt out and his attention is elsewhere. Also, there is a person reflected in the paint just above the H and that seems caught by accident also.

Overall I think these are a good start at an interesting series and really bear working on. These comments are made because, IMO, the OP is really working at making a good picture and out of respect for his intention and the good results he is getting so far.

Cheers!

For such a generous and thorough (if not harsh) critique - its just what we all need to improve. I have worried in the past that political correctness gets in the way of honesty in here and everyone seems to "love" everyone elses pictures (is that because only those who like them make comments?).. anyway, thanks for your comments. I am unlikely to be able to retake any of these photos, but you have helped train my mind and eye for future shoots (and inspired me to post them here when i am done).

B

P.S. I take no credit for the colours, its my dad's truck, and its beautifully decorated. I just hope he can keep it clean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back