Kiddos

Crazydad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some shots of the kids. Let me know what you think (I can take it).

2690757807_cc0d00b1fe_b.jpg

2690756173_6f5a560290_b.jpg

2691566908_ac1b3e0731_b.jpg

Love #3 the best. don't know if your going for background but unless you need the background maybe crop ?? otherwise I'm a noob and have very little idea of comp and lighting. I think they are very good (minus to much background imo) :)

First one - to be as frank as possible, having a cute little girl with rather large people's booties right behind her is not desirable.

Second - no comment, it came out quite well. Sky could go a touch darker but whatever. Nice photo.

Third - I would definitely crop off of the top, at the risk of changing the composition. It's just white blowout in between the two handrails. Also go ahead and take the bit of slide on the right out of there, too.

One of the single most difficult disciplines in "people" photography; the candid portrait. Technically, the images are all fine, good exposure, no extremes of light/shadow, or WB concerns, but as has been mentioned, they all have compositional issues. One of the things that separates a candid portrait from a snapshot is the way in which deals with composition.

#1 Looks like it could have been improved my aiming to camera right a little more, and perhaps from a slightly higher vantage point, shooting down onto the subject. This would probably have eliminated the "distractions" previously mentioned.

#2 I believe this one should have been shot from a wider perspective to situate the viewer better. As it sits, there's more action going on in the background, unrelated to the main subject than there is in the foreground. A broader perspective with a shallower DoF (to more effectively isolate the main subject and ideally one or two of his fellow players) would have helped.

#3 This is a really great capture, and, IMHO, avoids "excellent" only by virtue of the fact that there are unwanted people in the background. As per #2, a shallower DoF and moving the camera more to the right would have really helped.

All in all, nice work; you've got the technical fine, now it's time to work on the artistic.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the input. I see I need to pay more attention to what is going on in the background.

On the soccer picture, moving to the right would have put me on the field of play (they frown on that). That was also done with a P&S, so hopefully now that I have a proper camera (D60) I should be able to do much better.

Thanks again folks!

tirediron is spot on. And I think when he says 'move your camera to the right', you don't have to move yourself, just shift the camera more to the right.
seeing that your avatar is soccer related, you too would appreciate a picture of a goallie with more in it, to show what he is reacting to. Who is kicking the ball, for example. (or wait for the ball, to get that 'save' shot).

pascal

You are correct, I played keeper for years and I was really disappointed the ball was not in this shot. It was at a keeper competition and all I had at the time was a 4yr old P&S that, at best, shots 1 frame every 2 seconds.

Hopefully I can swing a 70-300 VR before the fall season starts.

Cropped and Popped
Jedo

Attachments

• $Untitled-2.jpg
    $Untitled-2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 74
  • $Untitled-1.jpg
    $Untitled-1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 101
Very nice crops Jedo, thanks. With everyone's input and help, I now look the pictures I have taken in a whole new light (no pun intended).

Now I have to put them all through PS and see what I can do to them. Like I have time for that.........:bouncy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back