Kit lens replacement?

Boz Mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had my D40 for a little over a year now, and I have accumulated 4 lenses (18-55kit, 55-200, tamron 90mm, and 50mm f/1.8), and an SB-600. I was wondering if there is a good upgrade from the 18-55mm kit lens, possibly something a bit faster that goes a bit wider maybe? I guess quality is my main concern, I know the 18-55 is a good lens, but I was looking for something that, if I move to a different body, I could take with me. I dont even know where to start looking. If everyone could just throw some ideas out, that would be great.

What's your budget? The Nikon 17-55 f2.8 would be a great choice, but a lot of money for a DX lens. Do you think you will go full frame in the next year or so?

All of those lenses will work on any other body Nikon has (well digital at least). The D40 is MORE RESTRICTIVE than other bodies, so if it works on the D40 it will work on another body.

Having said that, I wouldn't get the 16-85 as other than VR it adds not a whole lot to your repetoire; 2MM more wide, but the long end overlaps on other lenses you have. Really your options are limited if you want Autofocus on your walk-around-lens which it looks like your kit lens is. The Sigma 24-70 F/2.8, while not being as wide as you might like, has a cosntant 2.8 throughtout the focal length, and would serve as a general all purpose walk around lens for ya. I would then save up and get a prime wide-angle or the 12-24 Tokina in the future if wide-angle is what you are looking for at this time.

I wont be moving up to full frame in the near future, my D40 keeps me occupied for now. I dont need to be spending thousands of dollars on a lens right now, but I could see myself spending $500 on really nice glass. I am going to do some research on said lenses, and I must say that Sigma with a constant 2.8 sounds nice, I'll look into that.

Why not try out the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Very nice piece of glass and sharp as a tack.

Heh, there is one of those on craigslist right now for $345, brand new, in the box still

Thing is, you will lose autofocus capability.

Does it now. The nomenclature on it didn't seem to suggest that. Well there you go.

Why not try out the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Very nice piece of glass and sharp as a tack.

Ill second, or third this choice, It a very nice lens. If you want something wider you will need to look at a separate ultra wide lens like the Tokina 12-24, or the 11-16.

I went to my local camera shop today and looked at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 they want $408 for that one, or, they have a Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 for $709.95. What do you guys think of these?

The sigma is a good performer as well, its about on par with the tamron, there are some very slight advantages going both direction, so either is a very good choice.

I don't know much about the tokina, but for the price I would probably spend a bit extra and go Nikon.

The Nikon equivalent is about 500 or so dollars more than the Sigma. I would pass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back