voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Edited to reword why I think this print "sucks" My dodging and burning are not quite up to par. I printed this 4 times and not a single one was that great. :roll:

sanxaviergate.jpg

way cool shadow, though. did you have the opportunity to get the whole thing or is that crop line the edge of the neg?

are you working in a traditional darkroom? if so, you could burn the lower right edge, etc....

im not experienced in the darkroom, but the print itself looks pretty decent to me ... i dunno .. what do u think is wrong with it?

Well, I wonder, too, what is wrong with this wonderful photo?
In how far do you "suck"?
This is... man, I'd love to be able to take a photo like THAT!

I dunno I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'll probably never be pleased. perhaps I've been looking at it too long. This one i did start to burn on the right side but not enough. I want to bring more detail in on the left but my dodging attempts aren't quite what I've been after. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good but not "wow"

This is the full frame. no cropping.

Recently I've seen some references to 'contrast masking' and was wondering if that might help here since you have large areas of very white whites, and very dark darks... I found this link http://www.pcphotomag.com/content/pastissues/2000/dec/digital.html don't know if it will help or not, but perhaps it is worth a try... if you haven't already that is...

Tammy said:
Recently I've seen some references to 'contrast masking' and was wondering if that might help here since you have large areas of very white whites, and very dark darks... I found this link http://www.pcphotomag.com/content/pastissues/2000/dec/digital.html don't know if it will help or not, but perhaps it is worth a try... if you haven't already that is...
I used #0 and #5 filters. 2 seconds with the 0. I dodged the left for 1 second. Then six seconds with 5 seconds dodged on the left. I then burned 2 seconds on the right side but there is still falloff. I'm pleased with the whites, it's the dark shadowed area on the left that's bugging me.

I don't mind the dark areas on the left, but the need to burn the right side jumps out at me. Probably need to burn the lower right corner and upper left corner too. Bottom edge too; heck, when in doubt, burn all the edges.

I know that split contrast filtering is all the rage these days, but I'd try to get a good print using just one contrast filter to start out. Once you have that down (or at least are seeing the burning/dodging you like), then play with split filtering.

Keep trying. Some prints are tougher than others. For all the frustration it only makes you better.

split filtering? never heard of it. i've worked with magenta filters before, and loved the results- that's what i was gonna suggest to bump the contrast. you could also go with a slower developer, as i recall. no kidding, that was so long ago i forgot alot of the techniques.

btw- i wanted to say all the way back at the beginning of the thread that you do not suck. in fact, i'm not blowin' sunshine up your *ss, but i really do tend to pay close attention to your critiques because i think you really know what you're talking about. i'd say the same about your photos, this one included.

Thank you all for the comments, I was just feeling frustrated after blowing through much paper and not getting what I visioned with this shot. I want to go back (2 hrs away) and get some more shots. I still need to get a lens hood for the yashica. Perhaps that is why that falloff exists.on the right.

I definately think I got some good practice this weekend.

I also printed these. They were asier than that photo from San Xavier.
http://www.redrockexposure.com/bw/samuelbwportrait.jpg
http://www.redrockexposure.com/bw/isaiahbwportrait.jpg

not only did you get practice, you got a super cool new avatar- awesome idea, and you definitely isolated the most interesting element in the photo. come to think of it, that particular element goes perfectlywith your name. did you set this whole thing up as a seguay to the new look? :)

Hey voo,
could you photoshop a sample of this of what you are trying to achieve with the photo? I know you are trying 'get it right' in the darkroom, but I am just curious what to see what you would like the final outcome to be :scratch:.

i think its a wicked shot... did you post this one earlier or similar one?

well, i always say, "practice, practice, practice" .... get u some cheap paper and do it over for as many times as it takes ... but i would wait a week or so in-between or a few days ... u know sometimes u just figure out another way, something u left out ... or consulting here with us :D (even though i dont have any experience in the darkroom and probably dont know what im talking about :lol: )

someone mentioned trying another photo ... perhaps u can try another photo ... something that u think would be relativly "simple" and then graduate

perhaps the whites are just white in the original negative ... perhaps u should try to under-expose it in the original neg?

i dunno, i'd be a little frustrated too ... get yourself some literature on dodging and burning techniques and some online research ... read it twice .. take notes and take another stab at it .. all the greatest photographers werent always great ... they had a "first time" too ... thats the only thing that keeps me going when i get shots that are not as i expected.... to think Diane Arbus and Ansel Adams had moments like these .... but then u grow ..... take another stab at it :D

Most reactions

Back