Leica IIIc

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have my father's Leica IIIc, which he acquired around 1949-1950 either in Germany or in Belgium. The leather casing has basically fallen apart, but the camera still has film in it. He used to take pictures with it up to his death in 2008. How should I proceed to find out:
1) if the film is actually still developable,
2) if the camera still is functional?

I have heard that the shutter curtain does wear out - can it be replaced? How does the shutter speed mechanism deteriorate?

I've taken an image of it, see below:
$Lieca_1640.JPG

If the roll was exposed in the 21st century ... the film should still be OK.

We cannot say if the camera if functional ... or how functional it is.
Even if it is not functional, a Leica rangefinder with a lens still is valuable enough to get serviced.

Instruction manual ... if you need to get the film out and test the camera functions.

Leica IIIC instruction manual, user manual, free PDF camera manuals

Thank you for that link to the manual. The lens is a f/1.5 50mm Sonnar by CarlZeiss Jena. The antireflection coating appears mostly intact. We have a place in Montreal that apparently specializes in Leica cameras, and has a good reputation, but I really don't know if they will know how to verify the status of the camera. Do you have any links to reliable repair services for a camera of such vintage?

Hmm, I think that lens is worth a lot of money ... not sure but I think there are ones on eBay asking $1000+

I am not sure ... you can try to contact Kindermann to see who they recommend.
Kindermann Canada Inc.

Thank you for that link as well. If the camera is serviceable, I'd like to use it myself. I shot thousands of rolls of Tri-X, Ektachrome and Kodachome (and still have the negatives and slides), and would probably enjoy doing it with this camera.

It is a classic camera with interesting lens (if it is not a fake).
Other more experienced Leica users here would give you a better opinion ... I am a Leica newbie.

Needs a surface cleaning.

Also check this out for the lens: How to avoid Zeiss/ Sonnar fakes

I shoot a Leica IIIc and love it, impressive glass you have there too! Leica does lifetime service on all their products, if something doesn't seem to work send it their way. Considering the shutter actuates, just shoot a roll of film testing each speed for accuracy / consistency. Also make sure the rangefinder is calibrated properly by focusing your lens to infinity and looking at an object at least 1/2 mile away. Check to make sure other distances are accurate as well.

Very interesting. It appears my copy of the lens is genuine.

I wonder if there are adaptors to allow me to fit the lens on my Canon EOS mount? Yes I know it will be manual only, but it may be interesting.

Edit: There are mounts ranging from basic (about $20) to fully-featured (LEITAX about $100), according to all-knowing Google.

Looks like I will need to visit our local LEICA gurus at Camtec, to unload the film and have them look at the camera. The film will be of interest to me, and the camera... well, we'll see.

Last edited:
You'll have the film processed, right? :) Very exciting! You should have no problem getting that camera in tip top shape, if it only needs a basic CLA, then go for it!

If you post the serial number of the lens, I can look it up in Thiele's book on Zeiss. The camera was made just after the end of World War II, just before the one I've owned for 20+ years, 1946~1947 time frame. The Sonnar lens was probably made at about the same time and is a "Transition lens". There were quite a few of these made into Leica mount as the Zeiss factory was re-established. Some people will claim they are "fake"- I don't believe that. I've taken apart many Sonnars, over 80 of them. On the one you have: does not seem to have "wings" on the aperture ring, and looks closer to the Post-War Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5.

To add: you can use the lens on a mirrorless camera with an adapter, it will not work on an SLR. The curtains on my Leica are original, and work fine. Unscrew the lens and inspect the curtains. With a Leica Bottom-Loader: you need to cut a longer taper in the 35mm film than what is used these days. You need it to be about 1" longer.

Attached: 5 "transition" lenses made after the war, and two Wartime lenses. The "285" is a late wartime, the "272" is earlier.

Attachments

• $transition_lens.jpg
    $transition_lens.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 260
  • $czj2_after_side_3.jpg
    $czj2_after_side_3.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 252
  • $dof_scale.jpg
    $dof_scale.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
The Leica III, In my opinion, it's THE symbol of photo-journalism.

@ BrianV: the serial no. is 3051892.
There are no "wings" on the aperture ring. The focusing point is a small red triangle. the markings on the apertures show "." not "," for the f/stops. The distance scale is "m" not "M". The "T" in the front is red.

@ Rick58: Yes, it has this exotic feeling about it - very solid, but elegant at the same time.

Last edited:
@ BrianV: the serial no. is 3051892.
@ Rick58: Yes, it has this exotic feeling about it - very solid, but elegant at the same time.

Your lens is in the same batch of 1500 as my post-war Contax mount 5cm F1.5, made in 1947. Mine is still in Contax mount, yours was custom converted to Leica mount. That explains the aperture ring with "no wings". The post war carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 is a newer optical formula compared with the pre-war and wartime lenses: the optics have a slightly bigger diameter, less vignetting. The Contax mount post-war lens cannot be used on a Leica via a Contax to Leica mount adapter because the rear optical fixture is bigger than the earlier lens and will jam up on the RF cam follower of the camera. SO: the only ones that will work on a Leica are those that were custom converted like yours. So if it was clean: would fetch $800~$1000. Someone resold one of my converted pre-war lenses for $660 on Getdpi.com the week after buying it from me for $490. I've done about 40 Contax to Leica conversions.

David Douglas Duncan used a Leica IIIc throughout the Korean War. He used Nikkor lenses on it, basically Sonnar formula lenses. Henri Cartier-Besson Used a Leica with a Zeiss Sonnar 5cm F1.5 on it.

Post some pictures taken with it.

Last edited:
I had a Jena in an Exakta mount for my VXIIa. Very sharp lens.

Most reactions

Back