Waited To Long To Scan

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My birthday present to me was a film/slide scanner. Actually does a good job when it has something to work with. I have thousands of old slides from my Father going back into the early 60's, that haven't always been stored very well. Surprisingly I've been able to pull out and recover many of them I've worked with....to a point. Started sampling some color film I shot from the early 70's to the 90's. Appears the negatives didn't fare as well as the slides, especially those shot around the early 80's. They've deteriorated worse then some from earlier years???? I can't remember if there was a process change around that time or what. Lot of them have a greenish yellow tint and almost completely faded away. One of the few I managed to save from 1980, of my Father and still took a considerable amount of work to get to this point. I still have that Canon EF, hard telling how many clicks it has on the shutter.

old scans 198119700101_3207.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pretty good save! I'm sure you're happy to have it.

Poor storage conditions, especially heat, can be the death of negatives. I've heard that color negatives can fare the worst.

Nice job on the restoration. =]

That's a pretty good save! I'm sure you're happy to have it.

Poor storage conditions, especially heat, can be the death of negatives. I've heard that color negatives can fare the worst.

Poor storage conditions is an understatement on most, but surprisingly the ones from the 80's were stored inside house in drawer, yet they were the most degraded. I have B&W negatives dating back into the 40's that still look good, despite years of storage in outside building.

Appears the negatives didn't fare as well as the slides, especially those shot around the early 80's. They've deteriorated worse then some from earlier years???? I can't remember if there was a process change around that time or what.

The current color negative process (C-41) was introduced in 1972 replacing the earlier C-22 process.

Appears the negatives didn't fare as well as the slides, especially those shot around the early 80's. They've deteriorated worse then some from earlier years???? I can't remember if there was a process change around that time or what.

The current color negative process (C-41) was introduced in 1972 replacing the earlier C-22 process.

Thanks my memory is like a steel trap, what goes in doesn't always come out so easy. LOL I thought there was a change, just couldn't remember the details. Now that you jogged my memory it seems that I also remember something about lifespan supposedly being 65 years. If that's the case then mine from the 80s died prematurely.

Nice image recovery. I never thought about neg’s decaying, I will have to chat to my parents as I still have hundreds of meters of b&w fp4 ,home processed with whatever was cheapest at the time, in their loft.
Now you have me wondering what state they will be in.
Yep 100’s of meters, I used to use a 5m can of film in a day.
What can I say, I was a teenager. My peer group were into drinking, girls, cars, nightclubs....think mid 70’s early 80’s

Most reactions

Back