Leica IIIc

Nice!
icon10.gif

These are with the earlier Wartime lens, Kodacolor 400 in the Canon P. An idea of what to expect.

Attachments

• $korea_1a.jpg
    $korea_1a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 131
  • $korea_2a.jpg
    $korea_2a.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 137
The Leica III, In my opinion, it's THE symbol of photo-journalism.

For me it is the Nikon F or Speed Graphic. :blushing:

Journalists liked the Leica for stealth during quiet functions. You don't have the size of the F2 or the "clunk" of the mirror, and the Speed Graphic's never really were known for their stealthiness...:lol:

For me, Graphic's bring up visions of police departments and news papers

Many years ago I had an M3. I wish I would have kept it. They truely are classics. Now I just have a cheap Russian knock-off some where in a box. I picked it up an an Trade Show. A moment of boredom I guess.

You could try Setadel Studios : Home Page for a CLA, I believe they are around Toronto. I bought my M6 from them recently and they seem to have a good selection of older Leicas as well. If they don't do the work themselves they would be able to point you in the right direction.

YYeCAMERA

Youxen Ye specializes in Leica, and has done two IIIf's, III, two IIIa, M2, and a Leotax D-IV for me. The D-IV had been in a storage shed for 30 years and was a complete disaster. Looks like new now. I rebuilt the lens on the Leotax, had to let the helical soak for 4 days in 99% Isopropyl alchohol to loosen up. The camera was worse.

Now look what you made me do... Go to my junk box a take a fuzzy picture of my fake Leica.
I bet it's real gold plating ;)

View attachment 37674

Well, went to Camtec. They got the film out (was Kodacolor II ASA 80). Person claimed it must have been there at least 15 years maybe 20. Frankly, I don't remember when my Dad last took pictures, so that may be accurate. Told me the shutter mechanism seemed ok, but the lens wasn't in good shape. Specifically, he mentioned that the diaphagm ring was sticking, and the focusing screws were somewhat loose, and the front element seemed to be slightly loose as well. I'll need to have someone else to look at it, either to confirm what this person told me, or tell me something else. His impression was that the looseness in the focusing would make the rangefinder information unreliable. Eh. Need to investigate some more.

Also, after checking the serial number, he told me that this was manufactured in 1946. I now remember that my father told me that he took the camera as a repayment of a debt, in 1949. As far as the cost to repair, he expected that the cost to bring the body to proper shape would be $500-600. He didn't know who could check the lens.

Last edited:
The cost to bring the body into good shape with Youxin Ye is a fraction of that cost, so don't use Camtec. I would not use them for the Sonnar, either.

http://www.yyecamera.com/price_list.html

So Youxin price for a CLA, new shutter curtains, and a new beamsplitter is $210. An extra $40 for a new body cover. That is what he did with my Leotax D-IV. The viewfinder was unusable before he rebuilt it.

Unless the lens wobbles from side-to-side, the focus ring being a little loose has no effect on the RF coupling. The RF cam moves 1:1 with the optics. The front element is held in my the namering.

CLA on a Jupiter-3, and instructions on Sonnar conversions here:

http://aperturepriority.co.nz/50mm-jupiter-3-f1-5-information/

DAG has worked on Sonnars before.

DAG Camera Parts

I've worked on a few, a couple that had been to Henry Scherer first. If you cannot find someone to look at it, let me know.

Last edited:
The cost to bring the body into good shape with Youxin Ye is a fraction of that cost, so don't use Camtec. I would not use them for the Sonnar, either.

YYeCAMERA Service Price

So Youxin price for a CLA, new shutter curtains, and a new beamsplitter is $210. An extra $40 for a new body cover. That is what he did with my Leotax D-IV. The viewfinder was unusable before he rebuilt it.

Unless the lens wobbles from side-to-side, the focus ring being a little loose has no effect on the RF coupling. The RF cam moves 1:1 with the optics. The front element is held in my the namering.

CLA on a Jupiter-3, and instructions on Sonnar conversions here:

50mm Jupiter 3 f/1.5 Information

DAG has worked on Sonnars before.

DAG Camera Parts

I've worked on a few, a couple that had been to Henry Scherer first. If you cannot find someone to look at it, let me know.

Brian, again many thanks. I'm looking at your links and trying to decide whether it is worth the effort. I do not plan to sell this camera, but realistically, I do not have much time to work with film. It still may be worth it for the sentimental value, of getting the camera to "live" again - something I can't do for my Dad, but it can help keep a certain link alive. I'm going to see if there are local labs that will do the development and either printing or scanning. I also need to ask my Mom to pull out his photography stuff and see if I can figure out the quality of the images that were coming out of the camera when he used it last. And I truly appreciate the help you have given - I can only hope that in some other manner I can repay you for the effort you made.

Make sure to update this thread when you process the film!

Glad to help- this camera has been in your family for almost 65 years! Would be so cool to see you post a few pictures with it. I've never had a complaint about the quality of a Sonnar or a Leica. Put the two together- magic.

Sonnars fascinate me. I would be glad to take a look at it for you.

Attachments

• $nikki_chinese_rest_6a.jpg
    $nikki_chinese_rest_6a.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 160
Thank you Brian. I need to ruminate on it a bit. I'll let you know how the next chapter starts to be written. But first, I gotta find the appropriate direction. Oh, and that's a gorgeous image. But I think that also has something to do with the guy holding the camera. :hug::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back