Leith Part 1

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by cigrainger, May 20, 2007.

1. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are my only digital shots from my LONG walk today along Leith. I took a whole role of Fuji Velvia on much more interesting stuff though. So keep a lookout, those will be up tomorrow or the next day. Let me know what you think. These were with the 40mm f/2.8 on my Pentax K100D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WNK

WNK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks like a beautiful place! It may be my screen, but to me they seem a little dark. Also, the positioning of the boat on the second one just doesn't seem quite right to me. Otherwise, great colours; looks like a great place!

3. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. I think they are dark -- I edited them on my girlfriend's computer, not mine, and her monitor brightness is weird.

I agree.. the composition on both of these is lacking. I spent much less time, just snapped a few with the digital. I took my Pentax ME-F on the tripod, and spent much more time composing and all.

4. d1a1s1

d1a1s1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think #1 is beautiful. I can see that to get the right brightness for the sky the rest had to be a bit on the dark side but theres still a decent balance. Very nice. I agree with Wendy on #2, for some reason it feels like the ship should have been on the right side.

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My guess is that if you use move the mid-tones to the brighter side (levels) number one will be even more gorgeous.

I like the composition and think this would make a super print.

6. moracca

moracca TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree -- if you select only the buildings first, and leave out the sky, then go into levels, you can regain a lot of empty space on the right side of the histogram and get a lot more detail and contrast in the darker areas of the picture, while still retaining the detail and exposure of the clouds (which is great btw)

7. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks guys. Well, I took almost the exact same shot as #1 with a sharper lens, on some Fuji Velvia, with a polarizing filter. I think it will come out perfect on film, so before I spend time messing with this one, I'm going to see how it comes out from the lab.