Lens converter Nikon, Help Please?

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a novice at photography but need that extra bit of zoom on my Nikon D90, is there a lens converter avaiable for a 18-105mm vr lens? I have only just heard of lens converters and have little idea of price etc.. Thanks

timputtick said:
I am a novice at photography but need that extra bit of zoom on my Nikon D90, is there a lens converter avaiable for a 18-105mm vr lens? I have only just heard of lens converters and have little idea of price etc.. Thanks

Why not just buy a separate lens for the camera like the 55-300?

Convertors, at least Nikon's won't work on every lens. If you go to their website they will list the lens that will work with which lens.

You can get a new 55-200mm G series for less than a converter will cost. It's not a fast lens but I used one for a year with my D90.

Bruce

You'll most likely lose auto focus with that lens and a converter. At the very least at the long end it'll be iffy and slow. With a 1.4 converter you'll have equivalent to a 25-145 f5-8 lens. Not much gained for giving up a full stop. I think like Destin said, your money would be better spent on a new lens.

Using a teleconverter (TC) does get you more 'reach', but at a price, which us reduced effective aperture
A 1.4x TC reduces the effective aperture by one stop, and a 2x TC reduces effective aperture by 2 stops.

Your 18-105 cannot be used with any of Nikon's TC's, but you may be able to use 3rd party TC's.

TC's reduce image quality to some degree depending on the quality of their optics.

Most reactions

Back