Lens(es) for Nikon D5100, sports enthusiast

snowlord

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I am new to photography and I just bought a Nikon D5100, after some careful research it seemed the best choice. I snowboard a lot, and I love the photos that come with it. I am really confused on what lenses to get for my camera for snowboarding. Some say wide angle zoom, others say standard zoom lenses. Any feedback would be EXTREMELY helpful. THANKS!!!

Depends on how close to the action you can get and what type of shot you are after. I suspect people are going to ask you to be more specific about these things before you'll get many recommendations.

Either a 10-20 Sigma, 11-16 Tonika, or some fisheye (not to versed in fisheyes so I cannot make a recommendation.)

5100 is not suited best for outdoor, snowy activity- the body is not weather sealed as in the D300. It will work, just be very careful of how wet you get it.

Also, a SB-800 speedlight will serve you well for fill flash.

p!nK

I came across that issue, but I didn't have enough cash for the D300. I am having a friend make a waterproof case for it where he works. Thanks for the suggestions i'll take a look at them!

I am the opposite of pink. I'd want a 70-200 f/2.8 for snowboarding. You can't get all that close to someone on the slopes so I'd be NEEDING reach.
A camera cover that includes warmers-your batteries will drain faster than you can change them out in the cold. I believe Camera Duck makes a sleeve that also includes warmers/warmer pockets.

Okay, thanks. I'm going to take a look at those. I chose the D5100 because of the it was 16 mp instead of 12, and the fact it was way cheaper. The lenses are killing me now, so confusing.

You have to know about what YOU want first. Do you need to REACH for the image or do you need to have that wide view?
We already know you need fast focus and you will probalby need flash and a ND filter and/or a circular polarizer, but the lens? It's a rather hard thing to guess for someone else without knowing what you want it to do.

It's a wide range, seeing as I need close shots, at least I think 5-20 feet is close for rails and jibs. Then I have jumps which I could be anywhere from 20 feet to 400 feet away. But, most likely i'll be within 150 feet of the jumps.

Last edited:
Well, I meant like the different kinds of lenses are confusing me now. But I really would like to have a variety of shots, I love the wide angle look, but I also like the zoomed in look on the rider.

What is confusing you exactly?

p!nK

get a 70-200 f2.8 if you have the cash. If you are short on cash you could settle for a 70-300mm. Not as good as the 70-200 f2.8 but still a decent lens. Plus most of your snowboarding pics I would assume would be taken in the day when there is sufficient light. So the low fstop may not be needed as much.

Well, I meant like the different kinds of lenses are confusing me now. But I really would like to have a variety of shots, I love the wide angle look, but I also like the zoomed in look on the rider.

Sounds like you need to buy a wide angle lens and a zoom lens then.

The 10-20, 11-16, f/2.8...things of that nature

Don't get overwhelmed from the start, the 18-55 VR kit lens is actually a pretty good performer for what you are wanting to shoot. My suggestion is to try it out on the slopes, see if you find yourself wanting to go wider, or tighter- this will lead you to your next purchase.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back