Lens for D80

Madfos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm planning to buy a Nikon D80 and this is the first time I'm going to use a DSLR, could anyone tell me what kind of lense(s) will be good for starters like me?

I'm planning to buy a Nikon D80 and this is the first time I'm going to use a DSLR, could anyone tell me what kind of lense(s) will be good for starters like me?

I'm also planning on buying a D80 and would like to know the same! Plus, this might seem a really stupid question, but here goes: Would I be right in assuming that the 18-135mm lens can do everything that the 18-55m lens can and more? (More being a longer zoom I suppose?)

Cheers!

Depends on the apeture range of each. . .

Depends on the apeture range of each. . .

Sorry I don't really know much about aperture range. Could you explain what you mean?

Its the amount of light you allow to hit the lens.

I would suggest getting something a little more first user friendly than the D80.

If you are a complete noob, I would suggest buying the camera with standard kit lens and forgetting about the 18-135... since it isn't vibration reduction.

For the same money as having the 18-135, you could buy the basic 18-55 kit lens AND the new 55-200 VR lens (which is actually a nice chuck of glass).

That would, for the same money, give you both better performance (the 18-55 is a nice little lens) and VR where you need it most (longer reaches), plus it would give you everything from wide angle to medium telephoto.

It's a shame the 18-200 VR's are so hard to get (and people are charging up to $200 more than list price if you CAN find one), that is a perfect starter lens for the D80.

I do not care for the 18-135. Even though it is a nice (but very plastic) lens, it's $300 price point is SILLY compared to the $250 price point of the 55-200 VR.

IMHO.

If you are a complete noob, I would suggest buying the camera with standard kit lens and forgetting about the 18-135... since it isn't vibration reduction.

For the same money as having the 18-135, you could buy the basic 18-55 kit lens AND the new 55-200 VR lens (which is actually a nice chuck of glass).

That would, for the same money, give you both better performance (the 18-55 is a nice little lens) and VR where you need it most (longer reaches), plus it would give you everything from wide angle to medium telephoto.

It's a shame the 18-200 VR's are so hard to get (and people are charging up to $200 more than list price if you CAN find one), that is a perfect starter lens for the D80.

I do not care for the 18-135. Even though it is a nice (but very plastic) lens, it's $300 price point is SILLY compared to the $250 price point of the 55-200 VR.

IMHO.

Wow thanks very much for the help - much appreciated. http://www.jessops.com/Store/s29832/0/Lenses/Nikon/55-200mm-f-and-4-56-AFS-G-(Black)/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=143&comp=n - Is this the lens you mean?

Cheers!

Thats the lens. Here is a review of it.

No, actually that's not the lens... the one I mean is the VR version (note the VR tag is not on the one in your link. That is the lens that has been replaced.

Here's Ken Rockwell's take on it (while I don't always agree with Rockwell, I am with him on this one...): 55-200 VR .

If you get one, be SURE to get the VR version, it generally sells at nearly the price of the old one.

No, actually that's not the lens... the one I mean is the VR version (note the VR tag is not on the one in your link. That is the lens that has been replaced.

Here's Ken Rockwell's take on it (while I don't always agree with Rockwell, I am with him on this one...): 55-200 VR .

If you get one, be SURE to get the VR version, it generally sells at nearly the price of the old one.

Just been looking about for those lenses, and I can't find that camera bundled with the 18-55mm lens. I also can't find the 55-200mm lens. I will keep looking around but is there any other lenses that you'd suggest?

Do you know anything about these lenses?

Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC lens
Tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 Di II LD lens

EDIT: Sorry Madfos, forgot to add I'm in the UK.

Can anyone tell me then, where can I buy a bundled D80 kit with 18-55 mm and 55-200 mm? (online)

You won't find the 55-200 bundled, it is simply $250 american strait up.

I have seen the 18-55 from time to time. If you were in the US you could call one of the biggies and get it bundled, no worries. In the UK, I don't know... there's all that value added tax stuff that I don't know anything about.

So, can anyone recommend me where can I buy a new D80 bundled(including everything) with a 18-55 mm nikkor lens? (online)

Thx

Most reactions

New Topics

Back