lens for skiing

myopia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
(once again) for my minolta x-370.

i need a good lens for high light conditions (in snow). i will also be using a motordrive thingy for sequence shots-(i need a rec for a motordrive as well).
also, what film (blk+wht) and filter would be best for this application?

lenses i own (minolta 50mm/1.7, minolta zoom around a 135mm or something)

any comments would be great

A circular polarising filter is a real must for this as snow reflects light really effectively and you'll be shooting very fast pictures. You may also want a cheap interchangeable colour filter system allowing you to change between the popular colours/tints.

If it's just day stuff that you'll be photographing then 25-100 ISO is the finer end and will allow you to get the shutter speed down enough without having to crank it round to f22 for every shot. Remember it's probably going to be very bright.

Ilford are a pretty good start:
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html

I would say that in the UK FP4 and HP5 are the most popular (FP4 is 125ISO and HP5 is 400ISO). Don't forget to change the rating of your camera if necessary (little dial somewhere).

Lens hoods are useful in the snow, especially with lenses over 100mm in length as there is a lot of glare and ambient interfering light.

Oh, and don't forget to meter off something other than snow if possible - this can actually be very tricky to find when skiing!

Good luck

Rob

i was thinking agfa apx 400 for film, since there is plenty of movement 400 is what i expected.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back