lens hoods & filters

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im going on holiday to the maldives where i hope it will be hot and sunny! Is it probably wise to use a UV filter all the time in daylight and a lens hood? or are there more suitable filters filters.

Someone who knows more might tell you different but I tend to always use a UV filter and a hood when im out shooting. Someone here on the forum suggested that both are always good to use, so I have been for a while now. That's just me though

I definately would suggest a UV filter and a lens hood for protecting the lens itself. A circular polarizer would be a great filter for a more saturated skyline. And a neutral density filter is great when shooting waterfalls or streams. The CP or ND filters can be added on top of the UV filter but be careful for vinetting that sometimes happens when you stack filters. Often I'll take off the UV when I'm putting on a CP or a ND to avoid this.

This site http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm will show you all the different filters you can use for different purposes.

is a uv ok to leave on all the time or is a clear one better for general use?

So, lets NOT talk about lens protection because it may make this thread 40 pages long.:lmao:

UV filter, of course it is a used for filtering UV light. So you can use it in place that there is a lot of UV light. (Mountains, Sea ...) It will reduce haziness or fogginess. So far, I do not see too much different with or without it maybe because I have not been to a place that has a lot of UV light.

Also, if the place where you are going is very bright, a neutral density filter or the circular polarizer may also help.

As for the hood. It will help on reduce glare when a very bright element is close to the field of view such as the sun is just outside the frame. So it depends on the situation and where the bright objects is. For example, if the bright object is behind you, the hood has no effect on your image.

i bought some cheap filter on ebay, one is a UV, the other is marked PL and is adjustable, ie it is 2 layered, the other marked FLD, is it true the PL one is a Circular polorizer? or is it something ele? thanks

actually i dont think its adjustable may be my imagination!

i bought some cheap filter on ebay, one is a UV, the other is marked PL and is adjustable, ie it is 2 layered, the other marked FLD, is it true the PL one is a Circular polorizer? or is it something ele? thanks

Ugh...don't buy cheap filters. If you're gonna use a filter as permanent lens protection you'll want one that's multi-coated to help prevent ghosting/reflections. This will cost you.

Look into brands like B+W, Tiffen, and Hoya. Personally I use Hoya filters, although I have a Tiffen graduated ND. Look into Hoya's HMC or S-HMC lines for good quality filters. Check out their Pro 1 Digital line if you need a thin mount and still want filter threads on the front of it. Those are quite expensive though.

ive seen a hoya multi coated or abt 10 USD on e bay, i assume thats cheap? and would begood fo general protection.... also the ND and CP ones seem reasonable in price. Whats wrog with the cheaper CP filters?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back