lens question

The "L" in Canon L lenses stands for "Luxury", as in this lens is going to cost you and arm and a leg, but you'll be hip and fashionable. Your photos will be the same as before with non-L lenses, but you'll feel much more luxurious! ;) At least one Canon published lens guide says it stands for "Luxury". I've also heard some folks say it stands for "Low Distortion".

Except that L lenses are usually better quality than non L lenses and they're not always super expensive. The 70-200 f/4L is under $600 iirc. It's one of the sharpest zooms you'll get on a Canon and is a real steal.

You also normally get sharper glass and less CA's. But that's with any glass stepping up the quality. Compare a Quantaray 70-300 to a Canon 70-300 to a Canon 70-200 L.

OP - IS is more beneficial on lenses with longer focal lengths. Some lenses get up to a four stop increase, not shutter speed. This isn't the case for all lenses al some only benefit from three or maybe even two on certain models.

If you were shooting with a 300mm lens on a crop body, you'd have to shoot at a shutter speed of 1/500(taking in the crop factor of a Canon) to generally get a steady shot with no motion blur while hand holding the lens. With an IS lens, you could get away with shooting at 1/250 or 1/200 while still hand holding and not have to worry about blur from motion shake. A lens like that would at least have a 3 stop advantage meaning the lowest shutter speed possible before camera shake should be 1/125. But if you go too low, movement starts to get blurred.

On the other hand, if you were shooting with an 18-55 @ 18mm, rule of thumb says a shutter speed higher than 1/29 is needed. If you're shooting that slow anyways, you're not going to be stopping any motion and if you're using IS to take a steady shot at 1/10 of a second, you're going to get motion blur from anything moving.

I have a 70-200 with IS. Just for jokes I took a test shot @ 70mm with a shutter speed of 1/10 of a second. It was a little blurry, but not too bad considering without I should have been shooting with a shutter speed of over 1/100 to get a steady shot.

I am getting an Olympus E510 DSLR in the mail today, and it came with two lenses that I have a question about.

Here are the lens descriptions:

14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Zukio digital lens

40-150mm f4.0-5.6 Zukio digital lens
==========================================================
james

Trivia Game Challenge

I am getting an Olympus E510 DSLR in the mail today, and it came with two lenses that I have a question about.

Here are the lens descriptions:

14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Zukio digital lens

40-150mm f4.0-5.6 Zukio digital lens
==========================================================
james

Trivia Game Challenge

But what's the question?

Most reactions

Back