Lense advice needed

LR Max

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Good morning,

I currently own a Nikon D70s and I need a good lense that has a focal length of ~70mm and below. I find myself in low light conditions a lot so that plays an important part in my decision. I have narrowed it down to two possible lenses that are within my price range (I think). I am still within the beginner realm of photography so I am not going to go overboard yet on lenses.

Nikon 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=106458
Price is right and I have used this lense a few times, borrowed from a friend. VERY VERY nice piece of glass. Very sharp, etc. Only thing is the 3.5 apeture, I *might* need a little more. If this guy has a f/2.8 then I wouldn't even be asking for help, I'd already have it in my hands.

Second lense:

Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX DC
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=108043
A little more pricey but looks to be a good performer. A little more low light friendly. I'd already have this lense but everyone I've talked to has said that the manufacturing of this lense is hit n' miss. Some of them are very soft around the edges of the frame and so I would have to test it out to check to see if a particular copy of the lense was any good. This could be done if I was looking to buy from a camera shop, but my camera shop wants +150 bucks on these lenses. Saving 150 bucks by buying online...well...thats a significant amount of money. But of course I don't get to test out the lense until I've already paid for it and its here. Hence my predicament.

Any suggestions on which lense I should buy? I've got the telephoto end taken care of (got a decent 70-300mm) but its the wide angle I lack. I also have a 50 f/1.8 lense, love it but I need a zoom in that department.

Thanks for any assistance.

Does the online seller have a decent return policy? If so, buy the lens, shoot away and if it doesn't meet your expectations...send it back!

They do have a 14 day return policy. Of course, it is a pain in the rear to ship back a lense and everything. I'd really prefer to have it done right the first time.

If you'll be in low light situations I'd choose the second one. I have a 50mm f1.8 and it helps a lot when I don't have a tripod.

No question. Give your specification, the Sigma would be the choice for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back