Lense for safari to the Kruger Park

Which "budget" lense would you choose for a safari to the Kruger Park with a Canon EOS 7D?

• Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 SP Di VC USD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jarama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In May 2016 I'm going on safari to the Kruger Park in South Africa. For this I'm looking for a good zoom lense for my Canon EOS 7D.

I will be in the Kruger Park for two to three weeks driving a rentalcar, but I will also take guided walking trips lasting multiple days. After loads of googling I found (in my opinion) two good lenses in my price range: the Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 SP Di VC USD and the Sigma 150-500/5.0-6.3 DG OS APO HSM. The Tamron is 350 euros new and the Sigma 600 euros used.

I found that on the internet about halve of the people say that 300mm is enough in 95% of the cases when you are on safari in Souther Africa, but other people say that it really isn't enough. I don't want to change my lenses everytime because of the dust and the fear to miss some good shots, so I wan't to focus on one lense only. Of course I can also shoot some close encounters with my old Canon EOS 20D with a kit lense.

Does any of you have experience with this? Can I use the 70-300 all the time or is the extra zoom to 500mm really necessary? I mainly want to shoot big animals, so I'm not focussed on birds. Another thing to consider is that the Sigma 150-500 is 1 kilogram heavier than the Tamron 70-300, so hand-held shooting during walks will be more difficult (even tough the lense got optical stabilization). Futhermore, the Sigma starts at 150mm which could also be difficult, because I want to focus on one lense that I can use all-round when I'm on safari.

For a once in a lifetime trip I would get the fastest longest glass you can afford.

Rental would indeed be expensive at that site. But I actually don't mind buying a lense, because I'm just starting with wildlife photography and I like to keep doing it in the future. So it's not that I wouldn't use the lense anymore after the safari.

I did consider the Tamron 150-600, but in my country (the Netherlands) they are hard to get as a used product. The Sigma 150-500 is more readily avaiable on the used products marketplace and this is 600 euros cheaper than a new Tamron 150-600. Futhermore, the Tamron 150-600 would be a very heavy lense to carry around on a walking trip of multiple days without a tripod...

You realize a 3 week rental of that lens is $1297... right?
And? So, give up the hotel; tents are fun. For a trip like that, a choice between the right glass and a bit of creature comfort, it should be pretty easy to figure out which way you should prioritize.

If you only want one lens, then I would recommend the 200-400 f4 for it's quality and versatility. I don't think given the quality of light in Africa in general that losing the ond stop by going f4 will cause any issues, and the abiltiy to zoom can be awfully handy, especially with all the stingy, bitey things there.

I would vote for the Tamron 150-600 or Canon 100-400

I have a 70-300mm lens. It is going to be short for a some wildlife, but it is easy to cary around all day on walks and small for easy travel. I would go with the 150-500mm if that is what you have a budget for.

Thanks everyone!

Aside from the choice if I should buy a budget or a more professional lense, I notice that everyone agrees that 300mm zoom isn't enough. I will go with the 150-500mm lense.

I'd hate to go on safari and be limited by 300mm if it was possible to get longer. I think you will be happy with your choice.

Very long lenses take a bit of getting used to, I suggest you practice a bit before you go. I believe F8 is that lens best and it's better below 450mm. This is only what I have read but might be good to read up in case cropping from 450 might give a better result than 500mm.

Enjoy trip, and lens

Thanks everyone!

Aside from the choice if I should buy a budget or a more professional lense, I notice that everyone agrees that 300mm zoom isn't enough. I will go with the 150-500mm lense.

OK, but get a second or third opinion !
(hint: save a little more for a sharper lens)

I would go out and the the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. Great zoom and I hate carrying heavy stuff.

I've got a couple of thoughts on this:

1. How fast your glass is will matter a lot. Many critters will come out at sunrise or sunset. You'll get some beautiful sunrise/sunset opportunities as well during this time. So the faster the glass, the better. Personally, I'd even be willing to give up some distance (and then possibly use extension tubes if I need to get some extra yardage for that den of lions off in the distance) in order to get something that works better in lower light. Guides will usually be willing to get you closer (to compensate for distance). But they can't improve the light. The other thing about distance is...don't go for longer distance in a zoom just b/c it's longer. I've used 300mm and 500mm zooms and not been happy with the quality and sharpness at the extreme distance...I was better off shooting with a better (but shorter lens) and then cropping the picture (and still kept it sharp).

2. Think about how you're going to carry/store this stuff. If you're in a vehicle, backpacks generally don't work so well (you end up putting them at your feet or on your lap continuously.

3. I know you don't want to switch lens. But you're likely to spend a big chunk of time inside a vehicle. And there will be some great shots of the rest of your group at times. Or there will be some group times around the campfire at night where a 70mm zoom is still won't get everyone in. So be sure to bring your camera phone or a small point-and-shoot that is good in close interiors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back