Life with Shakes

I'm surprised that 1/3000 second would not yield a sharp photo. The "VR" is Nikon's version of "IS". Does your camera show you where the actual point of focus is? The example you showed has a narrow DOF, which is not helping.

If you can, attach the full EXIF so some of the Canon folks can have a look to see if there is anything else you can try.

Meanwhile; what else are you doing to stabilize your camera? There are certain techniques that we all should follow regarding how to hold the camera, but we don't always follow through.

I'm surprised that 1/3000 second would not yield a sharp photo. The "VR" is Nikon's version of "IS". Does your camera show you where the actual point of focus is? The example you showed has a narrow DOF, which is not helping.

If you can, attach the full EXIF so some of the Canon folks can have a look to see if there is anything else you can try.

Meanwhile; what else are you doing to stabilize your camera? There are certain techniques that we all should follow regarding how to hold the camera, but we don't always follow through.

yes. I was doing a test shoot. Had the focal point dead center. When I opened it in my editor I tried to find the focal point. Thought maybe I had wandered off it due to the shakes but this shot is out of focus all the way through. I could not find anything in focus :(

I'm at work. I will post the EXIF when I get home. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I'm trying hard not to freak out. I JUST booked wedding yesterday.

Sorry, missed half the question. I've read books, watched videos till my eyes bleed. I've adjusted how I hold my camera, I've added weight, just got a monopod, increased shutter speed (this is why I picked the beach) I used my 50mm for clear shot, I used my zoom for extra weight, I also tested my camera bodies apples to apples to check the equipment and cleaned my gear like a nurse cleaning an OR. I know I'm missing something. I have to be.

I think the suggestions about weight and stabilizing are on the right track. This may be a bit of a long shot but I'd think about asking your doctor about a referral for even just a one time consult/appointment with an OT (occupational therapist) or possibly PT.

My background is working with young children with delays and I worked with OT/PTs on my team. So I know there are techniques and equipment available, it would be a matter of figuring out what would work best for you to help you adjust for the shakiness.

I also have gone thru some physical rehab/therapy myself so know there are techniques for us grown ups too! There may be things you can try to help you stabilize.

It may be a challenge to get insurance to cover it which is why I suggested asking your doctor (who may know how to write it up to verify the need). If you do work in photography then that might make a difference, since you need help finding a way to be able to do your work.

I often had to write up something for a child and had to word it to help clarify the need for therapy for their insurance (if we wrote 'developmental' the insurance companies would tend to interpret that as 'the kid will grow out of it' - so I had to word it accordingly).

I worked with kids that with certain diagnoses would benefit from wearing little weighted vests, that would help them balance and be able to control their movements. When I went to therapy myself they had me wear an ankle weight but that was for strengthening/rehabbing muscle strength.

Yours is not apparently a strength issue so see if you can get some professional suggestions on what may help with stabilizing your movements.

I think the suggestions about weight and stabilizing are on the right track. This may be a bit of a long shot but I'd think about asking your doctor about a referral for even just a one time consult/appointment with an OT (occupational therapist) or possibly PT.

My background is working with young children with delays and I worked with OT/PTs on my team. So I know there are techniques and equipment available, it would be a matter of figuring out what would work best for you to help you adjust for the shakiness.

I also have gone thru some physical rehab/therapy myself so know there are techniques for us grown ups too! There may be things you can try to help you stabilize.

It may be a challenge to get insurance to cover it which is why I suggested asking your doctor (who may know how to write it up to verify the need). If you do work in photography then that might make a difference, since you need help finding a way to be able to do your work.

I often had to write up something for a child and had to word it to help clarify the need for therapy for their insurance (if we wrote 'developmental' the insurance companies would tend to interpret that as 'the kid will grow out of it' - so I had to word it accordingly).

I worked with kids that with certain diagnoses would benefit from wearing little weighted vests, that would help them balance and be able to control their movements. When I went to therapy myself they had me wear an ankle weight but that was for strengthening/rehabbing muscle strength.

Yours is not apparently a strength issue so see if you can get some professional suggestions on what may help with stabilizing your movements.

Thank you. It's certainly something to look into.

And I might even try a faster shutter speed than you're using so far. I found when I was rehabbing and couldn't stand/balance worth a crap, I got a lot of blurred shots and had to try to adjust my positioning (and for a time had to go back to using a walker instead of a cane to stop the wobbling to take photos).

I'm wondering if there may be some type of wrist brace maybe that would perhaps give you a little more stability and help you support the camera. A professional would be best to give you specific suggestions. Or a therapist could give you some exercises to help strengthen certain muscles that might enable you to better control the movement.

Try to not panic, and if you think it's necessary, probably sooner would be better than later if you need to cancel a booking due to medical reasons. It might be worth thinking about how you want to schedule from here to give yourself some time to regroup and get things figured out.

finally made it home *yawns* Here's the exif. Thanks to all trying to help. the 1/4000 was a blown out shot. Go figure. This is just one shot of many that are out of focus

20160111_200942-e1452561929278.jpg

12410537_817188488428015_7780249558031517624_n-e1452561570673.jpg

Just wondering if a Steady Cam would help in this case. I know they are for video, but if it removed some of the jitters then it might allow shooting at a reasonable shutter speed.

Just wondering if a Steady Cam would help in this case. I know they are for video, but if it removed some of the jitters then it might allow shooting at a reasonable shutter speed.

what's a steady cam?

Actually that raises a good point as there is a whole range of hand-holding gear for video equipment to try and reduce shake where they can't use fast shutter speeds to counter body shake. For you might work well however I must admit whilst I know that they use such devices I can't point toward any specific brands or products; but its another avenue of potential research for you :)

Actually that raises a good point as there is a whole range of hand-holding gear for video equipment to try and reduce shake where they can't use fast shutter speeds to counter body shake. For you might work well however I must admit whilst I know that they use such devices I can't point toward any specific brands or products; but its another avenue of potential research for you :)

this may be just what I need! I will look into it. Thank you very much!

what's a steady cam?

Might take a look at these to get an idea...
Top 10 Best DSLR Camera Steadicams In 2016

Google is your friend Beth. Sorry but thanks for the link!

sorry. I forget real names are not shown. I am Beth. I'm mocking myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back