light metering: Bronica ETR-C

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by elliotjnewman, Jan 24, 2005.

1. elliotjnewman

elliotjnewman TPF Noob!

Hello all! My first post here...

I have just bought a 1977 Bronica ETR-C Medium format camera. I would like to know how I can light meter? Is there one built into the camera? I dont know how to use it if there is! I have looked at the manual and I cant seem to find aything about it... Will I need to buy a light meter? I usually use digital, or newer 35mm cameras which give you digits for exposure, but I just cant see how I can meter with this old camera!

Little help?

Many thanks in advance.

Elliot.

2. santino

santino TPF Noob!

get a handheld lightmeter (or a ttl lightmeter prism if there is one for the ETR-C).

3. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

4. elliotjnewman

elliotjnewman TPF Noob!

ferny - thanks, I have already read that, but no mention of metering...

santino - whats ttl? I guess I will need another prism then... (if there is one)

I have used a handheld meter before, but only in the studio - are they any good for landscapes?

5. santino

santino TPF Noob!

ttl just means "through the lens". you would need a new prism, it would have a build in lightmeter and it would meter through the lens.

6. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    you can also use your slr to meter if you don't have more money or don't feel like investing in a handheld. Its what i do and it works great. Just meter with your slr and use that reading for the other camera

7. elliotjnewman

elliotjnewman TPF Noob!

tr0gd0o0r - thanks for the idea with the slr - but I no longer own one! The Bronica is now the only camera I have!

I'll have a look at prisms which come with ttl lightmeter, I want to get a waistlevel viewfinder anyway, so Ill check if it has ttl meter... If not then I will have to get a handheld meter - Shock! How much do those things cost! I can only afford a cheap one, whats the use in a really expensive one? Surely it cant be because of accuracy? I mean, if a camera has, say, like mine, shutter speeds of 60th 125th 250th 500th then how would a really expensive handheld meter be more accurate than a cheapo one? I mean, its not like I can set the camera to a 173.52th of a second becuase my expensive light meter gave me that really precise measure! Im confused... Are we photographers being ripped off on our equipment?...

8. elliotjnewman

elliotjnewman TPF Noob!

oh, and also, since we have moved onto exposures...

I have an external flash, which seems to connect up to the Bronica ok, but I havent tested it yet - how will a flash work with this camera? Im used to my digital camera just firing the flash when I push the exposure button - will this be the same with this old camera??