Light Streaks

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First attempt. Just getting a feel for it with the new tripod. I haven't had much practice or reading, just kind of went for it and well, now I know how to do it I just need to practice and find a good spot to do it. Any constructive criticism is good or pointers!

ZMD_1105 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Nikon D7000
f/16.0
50 mm

ZMD_1106 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Nikon D7000
f/16.0
50 mm

BONUS
Just a long exposure I was experimenting in my back yard with.

ZMD_1123 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Nikon D7000
f/11.0
18 mm
0 EV

very nice shots, i would like to know how you did these without getting run over

very nice shots, i would like to know how you did these without getting run over

I set up a tripod and used long exposure to capture the light trails. It was my first time to do it and I'm still trying to learn the tips and tricks. I'm hoping to capture some more light trails with better results!

Light streaks are cool, but they're generally best used as accents to a larger composition, in order to indicate movement and generate interest. That said, here's my advice:

Find a static subject like a bridge or a building or a fountain or a sculpture or something like that, and position yourself so that traffic in the composition will give you the light streak accents that make it all that much more interesting. Set up your long exposure so that the subject is exposed well, and let the moving lights just do their thing. Shoot a bunch of them, then choose from the best.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

Here's another:

doublespin.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back