Lighting and Bounce Diffusers

I got home and the Gary Fong Lightsphere that I had ordered was waiting for me. I did various tests with it, including people, my cat, and random objects. I concluded that the piece of plastic that cost me $50 did not help enough to cover it's ridiculous price.

Actually, I prefer the look of the photos that my 430exII produced while bounced without the diffuser. I returned the GF diffuser to Amazon and bought an umbrella kit. Sure it cost a bit more than the GF but it'll give me the results I want. Not really into diffusers anyway.

What really pisses me off is how Gary compares the GF diffuser's shots with ones that are taken with the flash pointing at the person. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Why doesn't he compare a shot of his diffuser with one of a shot with a bare bounced flash? Because he won't have an excuse to keep a $50 tag on that piece of plastic.

I got home and the Gary Fong Lightsphere that I had ordered was waiting for me. I did various tests with it, including people, my cat, and random objects. I concluded that the piece of plastic that cost me $50 did not help enough to cover it's ridiculous price.

Actually, I prefer the look of the photos that my 430exII produced while bounced without the diffuser. I returned the GF diffuser to Amazon and bought an umbrella kit. Sure it cost a bit more than the GF but it'll give me the results I want. Not really into diffusers anyway.
Yup. At least you tested it. Many people buy them and never test them, they just assume they're working miracles because they have light. But if you actually take the time to compare it to a bare bounced flash you realize "WTF did I just pay $50 for?"

I chalked the purchase of mine up to a learning experience.

Wow the lumiquest sucks... Might as well shoot the flash straight on.
Most of these trinkets do suck... they really don't do much of anything for you and they certainly don't warrant the prices they command. But people keep buying them. I am buying them as I see them on sale just to do tests with. The more of them I collect the more I realize how the vast majority of them are utterly worthless.

I'll admit that it does help. I tested it on my mom and the bare bounce flash gave her "raccoon eyes" while the diffuser filled in those areas with flash as well as giving her nice catchlights. However, I can remove raccoon eyes with the dodge tool in photoshop in a matter of 5 seconds and adding catchlights is even easier. It's the price I can't justify. If the diffuser cost less, I could justify keeping it. $50 for something that probably cost pennies to make . . . really?

This just proves how anyone will buy anything if fed enough crap.

I'll admit that it does help. I tested it on my mom and the bare bounce flash gave her "raccoon eyes" while the diffuser filled in those areas with flash as well as giving her nice catchlights. However, I can remove raccoon eyes with the dodge tool in photoshop in a matter of 5 seconds and adding catchlights is even easier. It's the price I can't justify. If the diffuser cost less, I could justify keeping it. $50 for something that probably cost pennies to make . . . really?

This just proves how anyone will buy anything if fed enough crap.
If you're getting raccoon eyes from a bounced flash you need to reposition your flash head. Bounce the light off more walls, even walls beside you or behind you. If you're at a 45 degree angle with the head, point it straight up. Also, try using a bounce card as this throws light forward. I don't have a problem with raccoon eyes. :) There's more to using a bounce flash than just firing it. You need to learn how to work with it and make adjustments to get the desired result.

I took this pic of my son at his first birthday party last year. This is a bounced flash shot and I was standing pretty much on top of him as there were people all around.

655202570_px9qf-M.jpg

Notice there aren't any raccoon eyes going on and the light wraps nice and evenly around him. :D

Was the above taken with a bounce card?

I'll admit that I just noticed I was shooting at a slight angle (75). Whenever I point the flash up without looking at it, I forget to give it that last nudge to make it point all the way up.

I would have bounced off a wall (I prefer side lighting) but there were no walls nearby since we were on the deck outside. That's actually why I bought the GF diffuser. For family events where we're out in the backyard where I only have the patio ceiling to bounce off of. The family will just have to deal with an umbrella outside during said events. :)

BTW, a bounce card could be just a white piece of cardboard placed behind the flash right?

Was the above taken with a bounce card?

I'll admit that I just noticed I was shooting at a slight angle (75). Whenever I point the flash up without looking at it, I forget to give it that last nudge to make it point all the way up.

I would have bounced off a wall (I prefer side lighting) but there were no walls nearby since we were on the deck outside. That's actually why I bought the GF diffuser. For family events where we're out in the backyard where I only have the patio ceiling to bounce off of. The family will just have to deal with an umbrella outside during said events. :)

BTW, a bounce card could be just a white piece of cardboard placed behind the flash right?
I used the bounce card that's built into the 580EXII. You can buy or make a larger bounce card and get even more light thrown forward.

The Fong isn't helping you outside anymore than a standard flash is with a bounce card. Actually, it's probably wasting more light. I would use a bounce card outside to throw more light foward. The Fong is throwing light everywhere and only a fraction of it goes towards the subject.

Take a look at this: Peter Greggs ABBC ABetterBounceCard for Canon Flash Nikon Flash and Digital Cameras | abbc is abetterbouncecard for canon flash nikon flash and better flash photography

Last edited:
I used to always use an index card and rubber band, or bounce off wall, ceiling. I kept a stash of rubber bands and index card in my camera case. I bought a Demb just because it looks better than a rubber band an index card.

That's just it, sometimes you will want the light at a slight angle and not straight up. You need to look at your subject, look at the room, decide what lighting you want and adjust the flash head accordingly.

Think of it this way, if you were going to bounce a rubber ball off the ceiling and hit your subject in the face with it, you would have to calculate the angle in which you toss the ball to direct it to the target after bouncing it off the wall, right? Light is no different. You need to look around and figure out how you want the light to hit the subject then adjust your flash head to bounce it to the target to give you the effect you want.

I point my flash head straight up, at a slight angle forward, to the side and up, to the back, etc. I can and do point it all over the place to get the lighting I want.

I think I'll use the index card and rubber band trick for when I can't take my umbrella with me. I'll buy the black rubber bands so it doesn't look as bad ;). I'd buy that big one you linked inTempus but the GF has completely turned me off from giving people unjustifiable amounts of money for something I can simply make myself. Thanks for the tips.

That's why I have more then one, I shoot a lot of rapper's album covers and car shows and a lot of live hip hop events

Explains a lot of things.

and I have made lots of money off of my XTI and kit lenses, .

LOL I fired my wedding photographer for showing up to my engagement pictures session with an XTI.

and get my hustle on anyway I can and I will...

HUSTLE!!! HUSTLE!!! Seriously!!! AGAIN!!! Your an idiot. If think the the word Hustle belong in any business place you are sadly mistaken. If I ever heard the word Hustle from one of my employees referring to anything in my business they would be fired immediately. You may have fancy equipment and "SICK" lenses. But you are far from Professional and I laugh at the very thought of you ever being professional.

Why are you lenses sick... Are they having an issue with Front Focus? :lol:

Seriously?

Wow.

So apparently you didn't look at his portfolio? Otherwise if you did, obviously you liked his work or you wouldn't have given him the job - bad on you for firing him because his equipment didn't meet your standards, even though his work did.

Last edited:
I have just given the milk bottle diffuser (2 pint model fits ex580 a treat) a try and was amazed how well it worked

That's why I have more then one, I shoot a lot of rapper's album covers and car shows and a lot of live hip hop events

Explains a lot of things.

and I have made lots of money off of my XTI and kit lenses, .

LOL I fired my wedding photographer for showing up to my engagement pictures session with an XTI.

and get my hustle on anyway I can and I will...

HUSTLE!!! HUSTLE!!! Seriously!!! AGAIN!!! Your an idiot. If think the the word Hustle belong in any business place you are sadly mistaken. If I ever heard the word Hustle from one of my employees referring to anything in my business they would be fired immediately. You may have fancy equipment and "SICK" lenses. But you are far from Professional and I laugh at the very thought of you ever being professional.

Why are you lenses sick... Are they having an issue with Front Focus? :lol:

OK so I talk with slang and worked my way up with an XTI shooting live concerts, I never said I was at a professional level but to say I can never achieve it? what the hell is this forum for??? I am lucky I have what I have and earned every penny of it working hard (Hustling etc.) I thought being here was to learn how to be professional that's why I am a supporting member, because I come from humble beginnings and talk with slang I am not going to be professional damn dude??? OK you win...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back