Lighting/Backdrop Startup Kit

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting a soft box and a backdrop to hopefully better my shots. I'm currently looking at THIS, a CowboyStudio 24 x 36 in softbox. With that, I'm looking at THIS stand from CowboyStudio. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Are they good products?

Also, I'm looking to get a backdrop. This might sound like a weird question, but what is a good starting color? I'm thinking a medium tone? I want one that will be fairly universal, but not ugly...

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Both of those links are to average, cheap light stands.
How about what light you are using with that stuff?

A good warm brown is pretty universal, but white can be any color or shade from white to black and everything in between and any gel you have.

That's a pretty good sized softbox with a speedlite.
You are also going to need a speedring mounting kit for the softbox to attach to the stand and the speedlite.

"Starter" stuff can be found used VERY cheap all over ebay and craigslist, where yours will end up if you don't buy decent stuff first go 'round
bigthumb.gif

Touchè...However, I can't afford "decent" equipment right now, but I still wanna spend time in learn it. Then, by the time I can afford it, I will know what I'm doing...

That softbox says it comes with the speedring. Is that the one?
You need a SPECIFIC speedring for a speedlite and the mount for the light stand.
How about the link to the softbox?

Both of those links are to average, cheap light stands.
How about what light you are using with that stuff?

A good warm brown is pretty universal, but white can be any color or shade from white to black and everything in between and any gel you have.
:)

i have this one that i brought as a starter kit...

Amazon.com: Fancierstudio 2400 Watt Lighting Kit With Boom Arm Hairlight Softbox Lighting Kit By Fancierstudio 9004SB2: Camera & Photo

i havent had any issues whatsoever with it. i do know its not a super expensive one, but its actually built fairly well. the lights that came with it were CFL's. But i converted it over to all LED light bulbs. and i love it. just an option for you.

EDIT:

i also have two SB600 speedlights and remote flash triggers as well with a few different diffusers and etc. if i dont feel like setting up the light set.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
GRAY is a good general backdrop color. Gray can be made darker, or lighter, based upon how much light hits it--in relation to how much light is used on the foreground subject. The speed ring for this softbox is probably a "generic speedlight" type of speedring, with a flash shoe that accepts basically "any" standard (aka the ISO standard style hot shoe) hotshoe flash, of any brand. This is different from a speedring designed for STUDIO flash, which requires that there be a connector fitting that is SPECIFIC to say, Elinchrom, or Speedotron, or Bowens mount studio flash units.

The background stands are VERY cheap....under $17 each...and you will need a crossbar with holes drilled at the ends, top accept the 1/4 inch diameter studs that have become the standard on so many cheap Chinese crossbar pipes. As long as you realize these are LOW-cost, light-duty stands, and not really built for outdoor use or heavy-duty work, you oughtta be okay.

The background stands are VERY cheap....under $17 each...and you will need a crossbar with holes drilled at the ends, top accept the 1/4 inch diameter studs that have become the standard on so many cheap Chinese crossbar pipes. As long as you realize these are LOW-cost, light-duty stands, and not really built for outdoor use or heavy-duty work, you oughtta be okay.

That stand is for the softbox...

I know that this equipment is by no means ideal, I just can't afford to spend the hundreds of dollars that I'd like to on lighting/backgrounds. I still really want to learn up on it though. Them, when I have more money and can make that investment, I'll know what I'm doing and what I need to look for...

Most reactions

Back