Lighting critique...first "strobist" attempt...

lextalionis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.motleypixel.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey gang,

I just received my B&H light stand, umbrella and swivels. I was using a 580EX on camera with stoffen diffuser bounced off ceiling and a 430EX into a 45" umbrella camera left, 45° to subject and about 2' from subject. Using just the lens on my body at the time Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 @ ISO 200, 1/250th, f/8.

I'm still waiting for my Cactus V2s TX/Rcvr and extra Rcvr to come in the mail. Once I receive my Cactus wireless system I play to use the 580EX with umbrella and 430EX as back lighting/hair lighting with snoots/gobos etc.

This was my first attempt. I first tried ETT-L and I can say it wasn't proving to have consistent exposure. I tried 4 shots in ETT-L and then I tried the first shot in manual 1/1 power on each strob and was overexposed about 2 stops, then I went to 1/4 on each strob and bam...produced these shots. Please be open in you comments...pointers/tips/etc. I'm listening.

Only thing I need to work on now is figuring out how to make the most of my BG's w/o having to go out and spent another $100 on BG canvas/rig. What do you guys do to really isolate your subjects from the BG?

#1 My youngest 3-yr-old
my_boys_strobist_3.jpg

#2 My youngest 3-yr-old
my_boys_strobist_2.jpg

#3 My middle-son 6-yr-old
my_boys_strobist_1.jpg

Thanks,
Roy

The shots look good, the lighting looks very natural! Well done!

Your backgrounds look fine to me. The DOF is perfect and they are not distracting. Unless you need a formal portrait look, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but that's just me.. I think this style is fine. Also you could go outside for some different backgrounds.

Multiple catchlights in the eyes are a little distracting but nothing is bleached out and the light levels look about right. Remove the smaller catchlights in the first shot and see if you feel there is an improvement.

The lighting looks good especially for the first time with you new gear, I like #2 the face is well exposes and just slightly brighter, this is a very pleasing effect IMO, and the shadows from his chin, and on his neck are very well controlled. There is more depth and shape than with a single on camera flash. For the background you could open up your aperture a good bit, this will also save on flash power, but ambient light will also be captured as well, which is not necessarily a bad or good thing, Depending on the results you want.

Looks good but the central catch light from your on board flash needs to go, just a quick hit with the eraser tool in any photo program will cover that.

Also as far as retouching goes. His face looks a bit plastic in the first one? Is that the lighting or was it retouched somewhat? If it was retouched I suggest you put it on a separate layer and then tone down the transparency to let some of the natural look through. If not... then I have no idea why it looks that way...

Most reactions

Back