lighting

stressrelief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
we are coming up to the storm session so this year i was think of get a few lighting photos

my plan of attack was going to be

canon ae1 on a tirpod with cable release
setting the camera to bulb setting leaving the shutter open and coving the lens with black card board
remove the card board for a half a second or so
as by doing it this way i can have a few lighting in the one frame

If you put the camera on bulb mode, you can open the shutter for an indefinite amount of time. You then block the front of the lens with the black cardboard so you don't terribly over expose the film. Then you move the black cardboard away from the lens for a second or until lightning strikes then put it back because lightning doesn't usually strike that close together in time. Then you do it again with the shutter still open so you can get multiple strikes on the same exposure.

Good luck with your shots and let us see when you get some.

If you're shooting in the night time, I'd go with f22 or f16 but try different lenghts of time and write down what you did so you'll remember for next time. It depends a lot on how close the strikes are, time of night, how bright things are, etc... If you're using the black cardboard to cover your lens, you should be able to get a few more seconds out of shooting than without but you have more of a chance to catch lightning without it. A good person to get a ton of information from on the forum is wxnut because he has taken many pictures of storms and lightning. I'm sure you could shoot him a PM and he'd be glad to give you some pointers too.

Maybe a stupid question but I was curious as to what you guys do to avoid rain drops on your lens etc during stormy weather when outside ?? any little tricks ???

i shoot my lightning shots from behind the window. You just have to make sure the window is clean and that the rain isnt falling on your window. You could always open the window then offcourse.

well, just the other day i saw that you can have lightning in snowstorms too. It doesnt happen too often, but it happens. So if your lucky you can take lightning pics in a snow setting......................if you are very very very very very very lucky :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back