Lightroom B&W. C&C please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Alex Europa, May 30, 2009.

1. Alex Europa

Alex Europa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK, I'll try again since my last C&C didn't get any love (sorry for the shameless plug:taped sh:).

Anywho, I was playing around in Lightroom and came up with this image...I considered stopping at various stages (because I generally don't like "artsy" photos like this) but this is by far my favorite version.

[​IMG]

The original can be found in my Flickr stream...feel free to play with it.

Thanks!!!

- Alex

2. Alex Europa

Alex Europa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bump?

- Alex

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You've got some serious solarization going on in the background there.

Converting to black and white is usually done in Photoshop with either the Channel Mixer or a Black & White adjustment layer.

Converting to black and white is pretty much beyond the capabilities of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

Adobe never intended for Lightroom to be a standalone image editor. It was aintended to be used in conjunction with Photoshop CS3/4.

Technically Lightroom is a database manager with a bit of image editing capability.

4. Alex Europa

Alex Europa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Solarization? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. I've done a few google searches, but it hasn't cleared anything up. Are you referring to the top right or bottom left?

As for Lightroom being used for PP, I understand what you mean (I also have CS3), but had actually just read a tutorial on using Lightroom to convert to B&W and the results were pretty good. Hence the decision to try to do it all in Lightroom.

- Alex

5. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to somewhat disagree about this. Although Lightroom is no where near PS, and it was intended specifically for Photography, I have to say that it is a VERY GOOD photo editing program. I have used many versions of PS, currently use CS3, for years for other purposes than photography. I edit photos in Aperture, PS, and lightroom. 80-90% of the time is use lightroom only. It does a very good job at the general photo editing tasks. If you want to get really creative, then PS is strongly recommended.