Long Shutter Speeds

nutsngum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When taking outdoor photos, how do i get proper exposure if I want to use a long shutter speed (i.e. 20 or 30 seconds).

Even when I crank up my aperture it still over exposes.

If after metering the available light you are still getting to much light with your aperture stopped down as far as it will go, you need to reduce the light with another method. Neutral density filters are the answer. They come in various strengths from 1 stop to 3 stops, all the way to 9 stops and beyond.

i'm not 100% sure what a density filter is.

A neutral density filter is a filter that looks grey and that will reduce the amount of light entering the camera when placed in front of the lens, without affecting the colours of the subject.

What time of the day are you shooting? The filter you use will depend on the amount of light available when shooting and the effect you want.

Here's an explanation of what the ND filter does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

What sort of shutter speed is being indicated by a correct exposure? From this you can work out how much light you need to block entering the lens.

my camera has an iso range of 100-1600.

And in terms of what time of day I'm not sure it was more of a general question, so I'd say...miscellaneous? :D

If you're shooting in the early morning or late evening, there is less light to work with, so you won't need a very 'dense' neutral density (ND) filter. If you're shooting in early afternoon, where the sun is the highest in the sky, there is much more light, and you'll need a much more dense ND filter.

Likewise, if you're in the middle of a forest where trees and leaves are keeping you very well shaded, there is less light to work with, and again the filter wouldn't need to be as dense.

It just all depends on what you're shooting, and when you'll be shooting it...

If you're shooting in the early morning or late evening, there is less light to work with, so you won't need a very 'dense' neutral density (ND) filter. If you're shooting in early afternoon, where the sun is the highest in the sky, there is much more light, and you'll need a much more dense ND filter.

Likewise, if you're in the middle of a forest where trees and leaves are keeping you very well shaded, there is less light to work with, and again the filter wouldn't need to be as dense.

It just all depends on what you're shooting, and when you'll be shooting it...

i was aiming more to get one for shooting in open spaces with a lot of light.

Is there a preferred brand? I have a Canon lens on an XTi, would canon be the best choice for a filter?

Hoya is a popular brand. Not positive that link will work, but I just did a search at the B&H website...

I am considering buying a Hoya ND filter but was wondering which one to get, the ND4 or ND8.

Now if I am understanding this correctly, the ND4 will reduce my ISO by 1/4 so if shooting at ISO 100 it would reduce it 75. Correct?

Would the ND8 be enough or should I go with the ND4?

I want one because I recently was on vacation and was trying to get some shots on the beach of the water and could not get the smooth look of the water I was looking for without over exposing. I don't expect to be using it much in bright light. Mostly early morning and evening.

get them both, you can never have too many filters :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back