Looking for a better mount for my flash

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have this one:
View attachment 147626
It is nice but the problem is that the umbrella softbox I have, has the handle sticking out the back (it inserts into the hole below where I put the flash trigger and than I put the flash on top of the trigger).

I would like a more compact system where the softbox does not have the handle sticking out. I was looking at a mount like this:
View attachment 147627
That would hold a more compact umbrella like this:
View attachment 147628

I like this because the softbox does not have the umbrella arm sticking out the back.

So my question is this: With the second mount I showed here, how does this attach? Will it hold a flash AND a trigger? If not how can I get a more compact system that will hold a wireless flash trigger, the flash, and a softbox that doesn't have the arm sticking straight out the back?

Please don't post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

Last edited by a moderator:
you clamp the head of the speedlight within that ring. then you can use any flash modifier with a bower mount to the ring. you can also still use a regular umbrella.

what triggers do you have that you're using the umbrella hole to hold the trigger?

That was very detailed information. Thank-you! Does the umbrella side though under the flash "hole"?

My triggers don't hold the umbrella, my mount holds both the trigger and the umbrella. It is The first picture I posted above.

I'm still not quite understanding why the umbrella shaft is that big of an issue.

I personally prefer softbox umbrellas, they are lightweight and collapse. those larger softboxes are heavy and unwieldy.

Because I do alot of events in crowds. I have used it in crowds many times and it works great, but I always worry about that end sticking out when I am looking for an opening in a crowd while carrying my lightstand in one hand and my camera in the other.

If the umbrella rod is sticking more than a couple of inches past the mount, your umbrella is almost certainly too close to the strobe.

When I zip it up (with the flash pressing against the back of it) there is about a foot of arm sticking out. Maybe I will just saw it off or something. It is a beautiful softbox. That is the only issue I have with it is that really long arm...

Will it hold a flash AND a trigger?
I didn't see what RF triggers you use, but in the case of Pocket Wizards, you can get those nifty clamps that hold it onto the light stand. It turns out, however that they are only nifty if you don't mind unscrewing it to get the battery door open, and they basically only fit a slender light stand. :(

So now I just let my PW hang on the cord. :eek:

Or, if you don't want them to hang on the cord, you could gaff-tape them to the stand. :rolleyes:

If you are worried that someone might walk into the umbrella shaft and put an eye out, hang some Da-Glo orange flagging tape on the end. ;)

Next time you want to clear a path to walk through a crowd, turn the umbrella around so the shaft is leading the way. They'll move. :D

Is there a chance you have it set up incorrectly? Most of that type that I've seen have the flash facing the back for a double-diffusion effect. Regardless, Mr. Hacksaw can solve that problem in a heartbeat and umbrellas are cheap & cheerful, so no harm in having one specifically for that mount.

Because I do alot of events in crowds. I have used it in crowds many times and it works great, but I always worry about that end sticking out when I am looking for an opening in a crowd while carrying my lightstand in one hand and my camera in the other.

maybe a rouge flash bender is more what you need:

Rogue FlashBender 2 - LARGE Soft Box Kit

Will it hold a flash AND a trigger?
I didn't see what RF triggers you use, but in the case of Pocket Wizards, you can get those nifty clamps that hold it onto the light stand. It turns out, however that they are only nifty if you don't mind unscrewing it to get the battery door open, and they basically only fit a slender light stand. :(

So now I just let my PW hang on the cord. :eek:

Or, if you don't want them to hang on the cord, you could gaff-tape them to the stand. :rolleyes:

If you are worried that someone might walk into the umbrella shaft and put an eye out, hang some Da-Glo orange flagging tape on the end. ;)

Next time you want to clear a path to walk through a crowd, turn the umbrella around so the shaft is leading the way. They'll move. :D
haha awesome! Just barrel on through :)

Is there a chance you have it set up incorrectly? Most of that type that I've seen have the flash facing the back for a double-diffusion effect. Regardless, Mr. Hacksaw can solve that problem in a heartbeat and umbrellas are cheap & cheerful, so no harm in having one specifically for that mount.

My Hacksaw may need to come to the rescue. This one has to face forward as the back is black. Maybe I am setting it up wrong.... But the black part zips shut and so I think it must go forward.... This is what I have

100 CM / 40" Umbrella Softbox

Looks like you're using it correctly, just a poor design. FWIW, there's really no value in the backing. A traditional shoot-through umbrella would work just as well and not cause this problem.

Looks like you're using it correctly, just a poor design. FWIW, there's really no value in the backing. A traditional shoot-through umbrella would work just as well and not cause this problem.

Ok thank-you. I was sure I was using it correctly. It takes wonderful photos and I like it very much. I may just trim off that arm

This one has to face forward as the back is black. Maybe I am setting it up wrong.... But the black part zips shut and so I think it must go forward.... This is what I have
No offense, but that thing looks backward to me.

That is the first one I've seen where the inside seems to be closed. Most of the ones that I've seen are open to the inside, and the black fabric covers the outside.

This arrangement seems to put the convex part toward the subject. That works, of course, but you're going to get spillage. Light spill is very nice for a single portrait, but I don't think I would want to use your setup the way it is shown in the photo.

No offense.

Most reactions

Back