Looking for a portable dSLR that won't get dated fast.......?

MissMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone first and foremost.

I'm looking for a dSLR (i'm not a photographer or semi phtographer) but I would like one for travel and that isn't too technical. I just want one to "play" with and hopefully be able to potentially learn to take beautiful pictures with it. I'm not looking at a specific price range but would perfer ones with latest or better specs so that in a few years I wont have to replace it.

I'm not big on lenses - may purchase one in the future but for now I would like a camera that can take nice pics without one. Also built in flash.

currently what i've gotten in my list is
- Canon EOS 30D
- Canon Digital REBEL XSI
- Canon EOS 50D - but from reviews 40D seems to take better pics?
- Pentax K20D
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II (built in flash?)

I'm quiet a small person so it being compact would be *great*

Thank you everyone for your input!!!!!!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone first and foremost.

Hello!

I'm not big on lenses - may purchase one in the future but for now I would like a camera that can take nice pics without one.

Definitely going to need a lens of some sort with a DSLR. :)

I don't know much about the ones you have listed, but have you considered Nikon?

The D40 or D5000 comes to mind, both are compact and easy to use/learn on.

- Canon EOS 30D
- Canon Digital REBEL XSI

For someone who does not know how serious they will take photography yet, both of those should make great first DSLR's. By the time you learn how to use one, and how serious you are into photography, someone will have a new model out.

- Canon EOS 5D Mark II (built in flash?)

No. And, it is an expensive camera to have sitting around collecting dust when you figure out that photography is not so important to you.

Thanks for your input everyone - Keep them coming!

yea I don't want to lie and say "oh yes I know all the knicks knack associated with taking breath taking pics"....I'm pretty much going from a reg digital camera to something a little more serious.

my biggest thing about it all is that I don't know "really" what to look for when shopping for a camera (dSLR) and don't want to buy a really "simplified" one that in 6-12 months its outdated or I've outgrown :)lmao:)....I rather invest a little more and maybe use it from the ground up and at least in 2 years or so when I gain or learn the skills to use the technical part - I wont have to invest a large sum of $$$ again....

Thats why I would like something that can use a lense but isn't neccesary ..

Thanks for your input everyone - Keep them coming!

yea I don't want to lie and say "oh yes I know all the knicks knack associated with taking breath taking pics"....I'm pretty much going from a reg digital camera to something a little more serious.

my biggest thing about it all is that I don't know "really" what to look for when shopping for a camera (dSLR) and don't want to buy a really "simplified" one that in 6-12 months its outdated or I've outgrown :)lmao:)....I rather invest a little more and maybe use it from the ground up and at least in 2 years or so when I gain or learn the skills to use the technical part - I wont have to invest a large sum of $$$ again....

Thats why I would like something that can use a lense but isn't neccesary ..

All DSLR's need a lens. And unfortunately for you, all bodies are expendable. People spend the majority of their money on lenses, because they will always use them. Bodies are usually upgraded by people on a 1-2 year basis because they get outdated fairly fast.

Josh - Oh ok, I didn't know that.

Thank you everyone for now stomping on me with my "newbie" questions...

I was going to suggest the Canon Powershot G10 also. If you can't be bothered with lenses, then this may suit you. It is a high end P&S, with Manual control available and it shoots RAW format. It is still on my wish list because sometimes I just want to go someplaces without lugging all the gear. If you can find a G9, that is good also.

Hmmm Ok I've narrowed it down...

*note I own a Olympus Tough Series (the one that goes 30ft under water) It takes hooriiiibbble picutres. I cannot seem to take CLEAR pictures with it - i've tried all different modes and what so maybe I just need to get it "manually" refined by someone who would have an idea whats wrong with it.

Ok so...

Rebel XSi
Rebel T1i
Powershot G10

Hmmm Ok I've narrowed it down...

*note I own a Olympus Tough Series (the one that goes 30ft under water) It takes hooriiiibbble picutres. I cannot seem to take CLEAR pictures with it - i've tried all different modes and what so maybe I just need to get it "manually" refined by someone who would have an idea whats wrong with it.

Ok so...

Rebel XSi
Rebel T1i
Powershot G10

there probably isn't anything wrong with your Olympus Tough Series. optically it's a poor performer. my friend has one and i can't take a sharp, noiseless picture with it to save my life. however, i can take images that rival my D90 with pro glass with my Canon SD880 which basically has no manual functionality.

from your needs/wants it really seems like you want to get the basics of photography down before you decide if you really want to plunge into the hobby/profession. the G10 is perfect for this. it's small and light, doesn't have extra lenses, covers a decent focal range, full manual, has excellent optical quality and will definitely last you two years.

Thanks!! ^...

of course.....surfing the internet is no good when your trying to narrow it down cause now I've come across this little camera called Pen E-P1....Olympus..... *physically drool worthy* love the whole "vintage" look!

The E-P1 seems to be pretty nice camera for what it target for. I will say it is one step ahead of the high end point and shoot (P&S) camera.

But you do need to understand it is still close to DSLR camera in which the sensor is bigger than the P&S cameras :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: and it allow the owner to change lenses :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

Olympus E-P1 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

If lens changing is not something you are looking for, then high end P&S is going to be better.

Ok so I'm going to check out the G10 and wait around for the E-P1 to release so I can check out IRL ....

Thanks EVERYONE!!

Why not the D40?? It's very small and about the price of a G10.

Most reactions

Back