Looking For a Zoom Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by chantal7, May 13, 2008.

1. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello!

I would like to get a zoom lens for my CanonRebel XTI. Does any lens fit this camera, or is it better to stick with Canon? I don't want something very expensive, but I don't want anything extremely cheap. I'm looking for one roughly around the $300 Dollar area. I don't really have any information on them, and I thought maybe someone could help me out here. I hate not being able to zoom in on cool things like animals etc - I could really use one to have more fun while taking photos. I hope someone can help me out here, and thank you for your time!

Another question, what is the difference between an AF lens and a MF lens, I know AF and MF stand for manual focus and auto focus, but don't all lenses have the capability to do both?

Edit: Ok, I checked out a lens here, http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...artmentId=10407&categoryId=10412&itemID=37237

Does anyone know how this one is? It seems decent...

2. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III is a low-end telephoto zoom lens. It has recently been on sale at Radio Shack for ~US$115, but usually goes for US$150.

You might consider the US$270 EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens. It includes image stabilization, which somewhat compensates for camera shake with the long exposures that you may need with a small aperture telephoto lens in less than daylit conditions.

With your EOS Digital Rebel XTi, you can use any Canon EF or EF-S lens. You can also use lenses made by third party manufacturers (e.g.: Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.) that are made for Canon auto-focus cameras.

There are many sites that have lens reviews.
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Just out of interest but what are you looking to get from this zoom lens - in other words what do you want to do with it that you can't do at the moment, what subjects can't you get with your current set-up. I ask as there are differnet ranges of zooms out there and its best to go at it from an angle of what you want the lens to do.

4. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The thing I can't do with the standard lens I have now is zoom in really far. I just want some kind of zoom happening. I can never get a good picture of something when I have to go so close to something like an animal.

I'm actually interested in just zooming in on people / animals and snapping photos of them; having them unaware that I'm even taking a picture of them. I don't know much about zoom lenses and what they do so that doesn't help either. I would prefer the IS lenses, now that I look at them. Hmm the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS is 350.00CAD here, which isn't bad. I didn't think they made cheaper ones. I for some reason couldn't find one less than 500 dollars - lol. I don't want anything fancy, but I would like something fun. I hope this helps in what you were asking for?