Won’t focus

Warfarin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New to Nikon. So I just got a AF Nikkor 35-135 f3.5-4.5 Macro lens off of eBay. The weird thing about it is it won’t focus under 60MM. I put it at 35 and no focus and just slowly moved the zoom out until it focused which was around 60MM. I have tried it on multiple bodies and same thing (all other bodies focus other lenses properly). Any clue what this is? The bodies are N6006’s. My guess is that when I zoom in the lens is hitting something inside the body to prevent it from focusing.

New to Nikon. So I just got a AF Nikkor 35-135 f3.5-4.5 Macro lens off of eBay. The weird thing about it is it won’t focus under 60MM. I put it at 35 and no focus and just slowly moved the zoom out until it focused which was around 60MM. I have tried it on multiple bodies and same thing (all other bodies focus other lenses properly). Any clue what this is? The bodies are N6006’s. My guess is that when I zoom in the lens is hitting something inside the body to prevent it from focusing.
If something in the lens is protruding into the camera when zooming or focusing, you ought to see it with the lens removed. That's almost an impossibility, though. I suspect the lens is defective - hopefully you have a return policy. Good luck!

Part of the lens sticks out the back when it is zoomed in which is why I was thinking that was the problem. I’ll post pictures later when I get a few minutes.

Search the web find out if it's actually compatible with those bodies. Not all Nikon lens and bodies are, most but not all. If it is, then a lens issue for sure.

I'm not familiar with that lens but I can't think of any reason a lens would expand the rear when focusing or zooming; they normally expand the front, or internally (IF in the abbreviations). I don't think it would be a body incompatibility issue since it does focus above 60mm. Since the problem follows the lens when switching bodies, I'm inclined to agree that it is the lens.

Part of the lens sticks out the back when it is zoomed in which is why I was thinking that was the problem. I’ll post pictures later when I get a few minutes.
Bizarre! That proves the lens is faulty. I'd appreciate the pictures, thanks.

It came with the camera as well.

It looks like they go for about $50 or less. I'd just get another one from a reliable seller, like KEH, Adorama, or B&H. If there is a decent brick-and-mortar camera shop nearby, check if they have one.

With the lens zoomed in and out. It doesn’t stick out past the mount.
E2855D73-E6A6-408F-8992-0DF2544AB001.jpeg
79FC8F01-25CD-4D70-B909-BE1A2BE4D355.jpeg

Most reactions

Back