Looking for some Critiquing Please

Jen Puleo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for ways to improve my photos. Thanks for any tips/advice.

Jen

1. My Girl
2706712415_d148f97719.jpg

These are from a session I did for another mom. In the first I took out a lot of color, I didn't want B&W but less color. And I know the very top of her head is chopped off :(

2707550050_18209c4bbe.jpg

2706765355_2c2989f17d.jpg

2706770285_42ba1d6dd7.jpg

The first one is a great shot to me, the color is great, subject stands out and posted well. I also like the last one, it captures your eye by the little girl looking away and the boy looking forward.

All of your pictures are awesome. Personally, I loved the color of the first photo. The other two middle were a little colorless. Although I know you meant for the middle pictures to be that way, I still like seeing color in children. I feel that the color enhances the emotions of children. One thing I loved about your pictures was that you had flawless focus on your subjects. Great job =)

i love #1. #4 is great too, the only thing that i noted to tell you to "beware of" would be the bring appearing to poke into the little girls' head. a slight readjustment of your position could have avoided that. but other than that- i love it. the 2 with the color desaturated are ok, but i agree with the others that said they lose their punch. overall, you have a great eye. good job! cat

Okay I added some color back into the middle two photos. Thanks for the critiquing so far. I don't have Photo Shop so it's not great.

2707915500_6ec50e5a34.jpg

2707913808_47b7ef9c3e.jpg

I think that most parents who want their children photograph either want colors or black in whites, most faded colors are hard to put into portraits.

I am so new to this - Question - to get a shot like you did in #1 do you get really close to your subject or zoom in? I have done both but can't figure out what is the proper way and have just gotten really lucky in the past.

I think perhaps the two images that you tried desaturating might actually work better as selective colourations; that is: Leave just the child coloured with the rest of the image in B&W. The desaturated look doesn't seem to to suit here, and even your 'do-over' seems a little flat to me.

I really like #1-3, although the colors are a little flat in #2 and 3. 4 is a little too centered. #1 is by far my favorite.

I hope you don't mind but I tried TiredIron's suggestion of selective coloring....

kid.jpg

kid2.jpg

Last edited:
For the first shot I wasn't particularly close. I used a zoom & then did some cropping. My son was in the background & it made it look messy. Plus my neighbor's messy yard was back there :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back