Looking for some Critiquing Please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Jen Puleo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Jen Puleo

Jen Puleo TPF Noob!

Looking for ways to improve my photos. Thanks for any tips/advice.

Jen

1. My Girl [​IMG]

These are from a session I did for another mom. In the first I took out a lot of color, I didn't want B&W but less color. And I know the very top of her head is chopped off :(

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

2. Moonb007

Moonb007 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first one is a great shot to me, the color is great, subject stands out and posted well. I also like the last one, it captures your eye by the little girl looking away and the boy looking forward.

3. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All of your pictures are awesome. Personally, I loved the color of the first photo. The other two middle were a little colorless. Although I know you meant for the middle pictures to be that way, I still like seeing color in children. I feel that the color enhances the emotions of children. One thing I loved about your pictures was that you had flawless focus on your subjects. Great job =)

4. photocat

photocat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i love #1. #4 is great too, the only thing that i noted to tell you to "beware of" would be the bring appearing to poke into the little girls' head. a slight readjustment of your position could have avoided that. but other than that- i love it. the 2 with the color desaturated are ok, but i agree with the others that said they lose their punch. overall, you have a great eye. good job! cat

5. Jen Puleo

Jen Puleo TPF Noob!

Okay I added some color back into the middle two photos. Thanks for the critiquing so far. I don't have Photo Shop so it's not great.

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

6. Donald Harvey

Donald Harvey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that most parents who want their children photograph either want colors or black in whites, most faded colors are hard to put into portraits.

7. jleon

jleon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am so new to this - Question - to get a shot like you did in #1 do you get really close to your subject or zoom in? I have done both but can't figure out what is the proper way and have just gotten really lucky in the past.

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think perhaps the two images that you tried desaturating might actually work better as selective colourations; that is: Leave just the child coloured with the rest of the image in B&W. The desaturated look doesn't seem to to suit here, and even your 'do-over' seems a little flat to me.

9. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like #1-3, although the colors are a little flat in #2 and 3. 4 is a little too centered. #1 is by far my favorite.

10. Crimsonandwhite

Crimsonandwhite TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hope you don't mind but I tried TiredIron's suggestion of selective coloring....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. Jen Puleo

Jen Puleo TPF Noob!

For the first shot I wasn't particularly close. I used a zoom & then did some cropping. My son was in the background & it made it look messy. Plus my neighbor's messy yard was back there :lmao: