Looking into trying Rodinal and have a few questions.

That's old news. Change in silver content was forced not by the price of silver but by better understanding of processes of exposure and development. This happened some 35 years ago.

Read the response from Kodak. What you speak of is a myth.

You are mixing something up. Let me assure you, none of my cameras care about the price of film I am loading them with. Nor Rodinal cares. I also didn't notice any change in properties of my film going with change of my film cost of manufacturing.

I was talking to someone else, of course.
To whom ? I see you answering my questions in that post...

You are mixing something up. Let me assure you, none of my cameras care about the price of film I am loading them with. Nor Rodinal cares. I also didn't notice any change in properties of my film going with change of my film cost of manufacturing.

"compur"

"compur"
By citing me ?

"compur"
By citing me ?

I forget when you piped in, actually. The composition of films affects their photographic properties and manufacturing costs, and as the response from Kodak states, the "amount of silver" cannot be changed willy-nilly to "save money". The research costs involved in developing T-grain films was enormous, which is why T-Max films actually cost more at retail..

I "piped" in as your statements were so interesting...

That is it ? We even didn't get to Rodinal. Despite my efforts to direct discussion there... :cold:

See the first page of this thread, post #8. The issue I was responding to was whether T-Max films had 'inferior' tonality because they have 'less silver'. I never liked the H&D curve of the original version of T-Max 400, because it was the opposite of that of most 'outdoor' films (which have steep slopes at the toe, which helps boost contrast in shadow regions, to offset the effects of lens flare caused by the bright sky in most outdoor photography, and soft slopes at the shoulder, to help keep clouds from blocking up). T-Max 400 was designed as a 'studio' film, and like others (such as TXP and the late PXP) it has a softer slope in the shadows and greater contrast in the highlights. I did not know this at first, so I was disappointed with the 'look' of TMY and quit using it (I am an 'outdoor' photographer). The revised version of TMY is supposed to have an H&D curve that is more like Tri-X Pan, though I have not used it.

Last edited:

See the first page of this thread. The issue I was responding to was whether T-Max films had 'inferior' tonality because they have 'less silver'. I never liked the H&D curve of the original version of T-Max 400, because it was the opposite of that of most 'outdoor' films (which have steep slopes at the foot, and soft slopes at the shoulder, which helps boost contrast in shadow regions to offset the effects of lens flare, while keeping clouds from blocking up). T-Max 400 was designed as a 'studio' film, and like others (such as TXP and the late PXP) it has a softer slope in the shadows and greater contrast in the highlights. I did not know this at first, so I was disappointed with the 'look' of TMY and quit using it (I am an 'outdoor' photographer). The revised version of TMY is supposed to have an H&D curve that is more like Tri-X Pan, though I have not used it.
O ! And now, finally, something serious about photography.
I never used TMY, I know only TMY-2. And like it. How about TMX ?

See the first page of this thread. The issue I was responding to was whether T-Max films had 'inferior' tonality because they have 'less silver'. I never liked the H&D curve of the original version of T-Max 400, because it was the opposite of that of most 'outdoor' films (which have steep slopes at the foot, and soft slopes at the shoulder, which helps boost contrast in shadow regions to offset the effects of lens flare, while keeping clouds from blocking up). T-Max 400 was designed as a 'studio' film, and like others (such as TXP and the late PXP) it has a softer slope in the shadows and greater contrast in the highlights. I did not know this at first, so I was disappointed with the 'look' of TMY and quit using it (I am an 'outdoor' photographer). The revised version of TMY is supposed to have an H&D curve that is more like Tri-X Pan, though I have not used it.
O ! And now, finally, something serious about photography.
I never used TMY, I know only TMY-2. And like it. How about TMX ?

I haven't used it in a while, but it seemed excellent the last time I used it. I prefer Acros for a fine-grained film, but I rarely use slow films.

I ask, cause the original question was about TMX and Rodinal...
Acros is excellent, but TMX treated right is also fine grained.

I ask, cause the original question was about TMX and Rodinal...
Acros is excellent, but TMX treated right is also fine grained.

I prefer Acros because it takes longer to develop, which helps consistency. I prefer development times of at least 8 minutes. A 30-second variation on a 5-minute time is proportionally greater than on a 10-minute time.

To be perfectly honest, TMX didn't taste any better than the rodinal....but whatever floats your boat I guesd

Most reactions

New Topics

Back