Looking to get a speedlight

Tkot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey gang, so I'm looking into getting my first speedlight, and I've found a good deal on a used Nikon SB600 at the local store: it's $100 because the cover on the button that you have to hit to rotate and angle the light is missing, but the button itself still functions perfectly, as do all the other features of the flash. I was also shopping around online in that price range and I found a Sunpak PZ42XN flash (PZ42XN Sunpak PZ42XN Digital Flash for Nikon, with I-TTL Flash Control Mode, Guide Number of 138 (ISO 100/feet), Black).

So my question is, of the two which do you think would be the better choice? Or would you recommend something else entirely? I've considered just saving up for an SB700, but I feel like it would be good to grab the SB600 while I can. Opinions?

From the standpoint of hindsight, don't get caught up in TTL functionality. Once you come to grips with an external flash (and OCF is best), you will find shooting the flash in Manual mode to offer much more consistent results.

Thanks for that advice! Any opinion on which actual unit to buy?

From the standpoint of hindsight, don't get caught up in TTL functionality. Once you come to grips with an external flash (and OCF is best), you will find shooting the flash in Manual mode to offer much more consistent results.

And it will save your battery life and recycle faster.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Playing devil's advocate a little here...

True, non-brand manual flash are a better deal, but a SB600 for 100 $ is a catch too. On top, having TTL and CHOOSING not to use it is better than never even getting to try it.

If it is your first flash, I'd get the SB600. In addition, you can use it off camera without buying radio triggers (as long as your camera's built in flash can be used a wireless master).

I have a Metz 50 AF-1 and I use it on manual when I use it off camera, but when I bounce it on walls at parties in places I've never been, I'm glad I have TTL. Granted, I'm not an expert, maybe a good photographer would be able to bounce it around in manual mode even if he has never seen that room before. But not (yet?) me!

Ciao!

If functionality isn't compromised, then $100 is a very good price. As far as 3rd party units go, I'd say for every photographer I know who likes it, there's one who hates it.

Thanks for the suggestions gang! I'm gonna go ahead and pick up the SB600; too good of a deal to pass up. My camera's built in flash doesn't have commander capability, so I think I'll buy a cable so I can do OCF. Don't have the money for radio triggers right now, and a cord will serve my purposes until then.

Getting the SB600 is def the right move. I use canon and have a 480 and a 580, which lets me do some really impressive OCF will full automatic metering... but its unpredictable, and unrepeatable. Whenever I can I use manual, and only use the TTL stuff when I don't have time to get the exposure right manually

TTL is an utter waste. Manual mode FTW
bigthumb.gif

I use a monolight and 2 of these OCF: Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video

Check out the mad GN brightness number on those. And at 1/2 power I get hundreds of shots before the eneloop rechargeables need a charger.

bigthumb.gif

I use a monolight and 2 of these OCF: Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video

Check out the mad GN brightness number on those. And at 1/2 power I get hundreds of shots before the eneloop rechargeables need a charger.

I use a few SB800s the SB700, and some studio lights on location when possible. Manual mode on flashes of any kind is great but when I am in a quickly changing fill light setting like at dusk, or in wedding scenario where I may walk from shade, to sunlight, to partial shade and back to sunlight all in a minute or two... you gotta love TTL.

bigthumb.gif

I use a few SB800s the SB700, and some studio lights on location when possible. Manual mode on flashes of any kind is great but when I am in a quickly changing fill light setting like at dusk, or in wedding scenario where I may walk from shade, to sunlight, to partial shade and back to sunlight all in a minute or two... you gotta love TTL.

Interesting perspectives... I feel like TTL is definitely a feature that's worth having, but I completely agree with the idea that manual is the way to go. Thanks for the opinions! Keep 'em coming if you got more to add!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back