Looks like the smart phones are catching up to the DSLR - Nokia Lumia 920 Amazing!

camz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would buy this phone just for the Camera...forget the service! Pretty impressive, has an internal cinemagraph editor and much more.

Who needs flash with this technology? Low light revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camera discussion begins at 11:22.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased this phone 2 weeks ago. The optical image stabilization is really nifty. It lets me capture pics with 1/3 sec shutter speed without a tripod.

pretty soon the iphone will replace DSLR's as the premier wedding photography camera

I hope that lots of photographers begin buying these instead of dSLRs....it will help thin the herd.

I can just see the new list of questions to ask your wedding photographer...
Do you use an iPhone? Do you instagram?

If you have enough pixels, you don't need interchangeable lenses. You just crop.

It's pretty funny to see people who wouldn't even consider using film to shoot a wedding mocking, however gently, the new technology coming down the road.

If you have enough pixels, you don't need interchangeable lenses. You just crop.

It's pretty funny to see people who wouldn't even consider using film to shoot a wedding mocking, however gently, the new technology coming down the road.

we are actually moving a bit backwards. going to see if we cant incorporate our mamiya m645 into our wedding portraits.
but seriously...its not just about technology. its about how that technology gets used. and anything photography related will be judged not just by pixel quality, or ISO capability...but also by how well the photos can be enlarged. cropping is all fine and dandy until you need that picture blown up on canvas.

The question is though, how good is it at making phonecalls?

To me the question is for the DSLR sector to incorporate these features in their market. Why not to avoid loose of market share...shiets as a wedding photographer who wouldn't want shooting capabilities without a tripod or flash at very slow shutter speeds? In fact internet capabilities would be amazing.

Eventually I think these little phones will have the capability of a full frame sensor(Eventually). It's more of the opticals(lenses) on these that might have problem catching up to the DSLRs. I see both categories(DSLR and Cameraphones) meeting somewhere in the middle. Samsung just came out with a camera that has android OS installed expanding on wifi capabilities and social media sharing:

Samsung Galaxy Camera Review - SlashGear

It's coming folks...wether we like it or not.

I think a big problem with using a phone as a camera is not a technical one. Phones simply do not have the ergonomics of a good camera. Would you want to work for a few hours (say, as a wedding photographer) holding a camera phone in its "camera" orientation? I wouldn't. I'm getting hand cramps just thinking about it! Phones also don't have the same level of control at your fingertips like good cameras do. Just try to change the exposure settings, plane of focus, etc, on your phone with one hand! The only thing I can't currently do with one hand on my 10D is change focus, and that's only because I have a manual focus lens on it.

You could probably get a good hand grip for the phone, but that can't fix all the issues (unless it can also tap on the screen with a stylus to automatically adjust settings on the screen. ;)). Or a phone designer might even address the ergonomics and usability issues, but it would be a challenge to keep it usable as a phone. Or the phone could be designed to take a DSLR-like grip that plugs into its data port (USB or proprietary connector) so the grip can control all of the settings. Hmmm, I wonder if that's the direction some phones will go....

christop, good points but I'm looking beyond that =). To address ergo wise, I have a 4/3 size and I don't mind shooting with it all day. Look at the samsung camera I placed a link on above. Ergo wise just like the 4/3 size.

But can you imagine posting images immediately on facebook of SDEs(Same Day Edits) for your clients friends/family who couldn't make it to their wedding. Or photobooth session slideshow, or a little short video clips on youtube or vimeo. If we as the pros don't, I'm pretty sure the guests will! haha. As pros we should go with the times and offer these services. If we're losing on print sales then let's capture the market with new capabilities and be always one up of the consumer. Let's offer something the layman can't give.

People will continue to want their information much faster and timely than what we're used to. When these things start coming out and we don't adapt...we better go find and do someting else =). Shoot I'm in my thirties and I already feel old because of how fast technology is moving forward.

We're not THAT far off from the days when ergonomics don't matter much either. There will be enough pixels, and the lens will be short enough, that you're just going to be pointing the camera roughly in the right direction and cropping in post anyways. Hang it around your neck, look roughly in the right direction, and press the button on the bluetooth remote.

Most reactions

Back