lord of the ring discuss?

By main books do you mean the first trilogy (Chronicles) or also the second (Legends)?
Both. I think those 6 books are considered the main books and all the rest are supplemental. I've read a handful of the others and even bought a box full of them from a used book store...however, most of them don't compare to the core books.
I had heard something about a movie or movies. The problem, it seems, is the same as it was with LOTR...to do it properly would take several movies and hundreds of millions of dollars. Anything less and you end up with a cheesy B movie...straight to DVD :er:

I have often thought that several parts of The Silmarillion would be good for the screen...but it's such a broken history that it would be really, really hard to do. I envision it as an animated series. Maybe 12-20 episodes...something like that.

Errm, the original Beowulf text is even on the shelf here ;)
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans serif]Also got Sir Gawayin and the Green Knight in the original language ;)[/FONT]

Thought so.
I will not ask about the Niebelungenlied, then ;)

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans serif]As for that computer game, it was based on the tale of Tuor and his return to Gondolin, German only though, I am afraid.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans serif]should still have some copies of it around, but have to search ;)[/FONT]

Deutsch ist cool bei mich (mir?:p), danke. :p

just so long as you aren't just PRETENDING to be an uber-dork just to get all the girls that us real uber-dorks should be getting.

P.S. something on topic...

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread :oops:. Wondered when someone would bring up Beowulf. Any thoughts on how well that translated onto screen compared to LOTR?

p.s. I am a girl so no worries, you've no competition from moi :lol:

There have been so many Beowulf movies.. one worse than the other ... ;)

i am curious how the current one will be ...

Anything less and you end up with a cheesy B movie...straight to DVD :er:

Well, they've got Kiefer Sutherland, Lucy Lawless and Michael Rosenbaum starring.

I'd watch it, just for entertainment and with very low expectations.

I have often thought that several parts of The Silmarillion would be good for the screen...but it's such a broken history that it would be really, really hard to do. I envision it as an animated series. Maybe 12-20 episodes...something like that.

Something like the SW Clone Wars aminated series that should start late this year? That could be very cool.

Strange enough for me, i love tolkien, but everthing else i started to read afterwards seemed like either a cheap copy of tolkien or like just not up to the same standard.

i will never be able to enjoy and fantasy novel i suppse since i read tolkien in depth.

Did you try something by Moorcock? It's a completely different style, both in form and story. (Moorcock is a harsh critic of Tolkien, BTW)

I have no idea what it was called, or who made it...but I saw several episodes of an animated series that was about Greek Gods and the related stories. It had a real 'history book' type of feel about it, which I think would be perfect for the Histories of Middle Earth.

Well, they've got Kiefer Sutherland, Lucy Lawless and Michael Rosenbaum starring.
Sounds interesting...Sutherland would make a great Tanis. I would certainly be interested in seeing that, and I'd probably enjoy it because I would have low expectations :D

Sounds interesting...Sutherland would make a great Tanis.
Sutherland voices Raistlin, Tanis gets his voice from Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor in Smallville)

Here is the movie page, BTW. There's supposed to be a trailer in there, but I cannot find it.

I would certainly be interested in seeing that, and I'd probably enjoy it because I would have low expectations :D
That's the spirit!

Me too. I'm a little put down by the prospect of wathing a guy fighting monsters in his tighty whities... but at least this time they are boxers and not briefs, like in 300.

lol, the movies need to offer something for the girls as well ;)

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread :oops:. Wondered when someone would bring up Beowulf. Any thoughts on how well that translated onto screen compared to LOTR?

p.s. I am a girl so no worries, you've no competition from moi :lol:

You never know some of the dorkiest girls I've ever met WERE competition (it was really sad for me because they were also really hot and didn't run the other way when I tried to talk to them).

on the subject of wizards and magic and stuff... those Harry Potter Books/Movies were rubbish

on the subject of wizards and magic and stuff... those Harry Potter Books/Movies were rubbish

At first I also thougt so. I read the first book and decided to read no more, but watch the movies for candy entertainment. Now I peeked into the 6th and 7th books, and they seem to come to a nice conclusion.

My main problem is they are full of Rube Goldberg machines. Espacially The Goblet of Fire.

Most reactions

Back